What's new

Denon avr 3803 vs HK avr 7200 (1 Viewer)

Sinbad

Auditioning
Both of these units can be had for about the same price. Does anyone know if the HK has component video conversion? This feature could be the deal breaker. Thanks!

cabreau

Second Unit
This is my dilemma. You can buy the 3803 shipped for $648.00 from 6ave.com I want to know if the 7200 is worth the $900 price.

Kenny R

Auditioning
I had to make the same decision and I ended up going with the HK as the amp section is far superior to the Denon IMO. I have read that the processor section of the Denon has a newer chipset than the HK...Good luck with your decision...:cool:

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you could go listen, that would be best....

h/k amps being far superior is a stretch at best. I actually much prefer the sound of Denon power amps, over anything else I have come across.

The one you think sounds the best should win out.

cabreau

Second Unit
I don't think that my ears are trained enough to be able to tellthe difference. Besides, I don't think that there is a store around here that sells both brands. Without A/B switching there is no way in hell that I would be able to tell, since the rooms/speakers may vary at the different stores. The other thing that makes me doubt my own ability to judge is that maybe if I adjusted a Bass knob or Treble knob on the front of one, it would sound exactly like the other. My friend was telling me that the Yamahas have a "brighter" sound than some other receivers. He said that HK and Denon had "warmer" sounds, which is probably true if you leave the Bass and Treble at default settings. What if you adjusted those knobs? Would the receivers sound the same with some adjustments?

I'm thinking as far as features and power goes, would it be worth paying the extra few hundred for the 7200? It retails at $1999, while the Denon retails at $1200, so I assume it MUST have SOME features that are better. LOL.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, it is a shame you can't audition them.....

What the heck do I know, I paid $1700 a couple of years ago for a Denon 4802.... lol

I just pulled them both up from their respective manufacture web sites...

The 7200 has cat5 remote control (for multi-zone)and EZ-Set for calibration.

The Denon 3803 has twice the bandwidth on component video switching.

Looks to me like the 3803 is the winner, maybe I missed something, both look like excellent products.

On sounds, HK's tend to be more forward (brighter), Denon tends to be a more laid back sound. But in reality, they probably don't even sound that different.

Good luck with your choice.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Actually John the HK is known to be warmer, the Denon more neutral and the Yamaha brighter. I personally like the warmer sound of the HK as it is more plasing to my ears and isn't "scratchy".

Also the amp section in the HK is a little bit more powerful that the Denon's as proven by benchmarks, Denon over-rates there equipment while HK underrates.

Anywho, the Denon is probably your best but for component video though, although the HK would be decent... In terms of video quality I don't think I would be able to see much of a difference if I were using either.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Sinbad, I would go for the 7200 because no matter what, it was a flagship receiver from HK. While the 3803 may have a newer chipset, I doubt if your ears can tell any difference. I would take the 7200's amp section over the 3803 on any given day. The 7200 also has Logic 7 processing and is a fantastic performer on 2 channel music. The 7200 is in a different league of receivers and having owned the 4802, I can say that the 7200 is much better than the 4802, let alone the 3803.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I have to agree with NickSP here and this is exactly why I went with the 7200 over the 3803. I have heard a 3803 and have owned a 3802 and 3300 and they are definitely neutral sounding receivers IMO. I will be getting my 7200 tomorrow so I will post my impressions soon after on the "sound" of the HK vs Denon.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I must of heard it with some real bright speakers then, I thought the H/K 7200 was generally brighter than the Denons.... Just goes to show how hard it is to audition stuff when they are not side by side.

Then again if it really has more power, that alone could give that perception sort of too.

I would also lable Denon as a neutral sound, I still think the Denon highs are smoother than the H/K's though, not just the 7200, but in general. (I listen to a lot of jazz with brash horns) Given that as my criteria, it could actually be the mids I suppose as well)

cabreau

Second Unit
I watch movies more than listening to music. Either the 3803 or the 7200 would probably put my HK AVR 225 to shame anyway, right? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks