What's new

Denon AVR-3803 UpConversion Problems? (1 Viewer)

BrianKan

Auditioning
I just bought a Denon AVR-3803. When I plug my digital Time Warner cable box into the receiver via s-video (or composite) and run out the receiver to my projector via component cable, I get a green stripe and a violet stripe that run up my screen. The image looks find beyond this interference. I am pretty sure it has to do with upconversion, because I don't get this when I run my DVD player component cable into receiver and component out (thus no conversion). To verify the source, I plugged my DVD player in using s-video, and the green/purple lines appeared. I've unplugged the cable line thinking it may be the interference, but doesn't change things. If I do s-video in from cable box, and s-video out from receiver, there are no lines. I've also tried different component cables, and same problems.

What is the solution???? This is very frustrating since one of the reasons I went with the unit was for the upconversion and ability to minimize cables.

Thanks!
Brian

Greg.E

Auditioning
I just received my 3803 a couple of weeks ago and I have no problems with the conversion. As a matter of fact, I have the same exact set-up as you; DVD hook-up via Component and my Time Warner Digital Cable Box via S-Video. Did you double check the video set-up menu? And is it possible that the problem could be in the S-Video cable? Finally, I did read in the manual about a complete reboot or reset of the unit to reset all functions back to factory defaults. If all else fails send it back.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I just had an aside question, did you guys notice any difference with regard to composite vs. svideo to the receiver and upconversion? I'm use to using composite because my tv had a better comb filter but with the receiver doing the upconversion I can't quite tell if one's better than the other.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think it's important to note that the 3803 doesn't do up-conversion, just conversion. It just takes a s or composite video and converts it to component. It doesn't enhance the video in any way. Brian- you eliminated teh component cable as a problem, but what about the S cable. I have had a bad S cable before and it made my picture look like teh one you describe.

Greg.E

Auditioning
Elliott, the picture with the conversion (S-video to component) does not look any better. It's just nice to only have one wire to the TV.

BrianKan

Auditioning
Unfortunately I have tried two different S-video cables and the problem persists. Granted they are not top-end s-video cables (probably $10 a piece from radio shack), that shouldn't be a consistent issue between them. I have also tried with composite cables from cable box and same result. Only time I don't get the faint green and purple lines is when I run component in/component out or s-video in/s-video out. I don't seem to have a problem with composite in/s-video out either.

rob-socal

Agent
This is a very old issue that plaggued the first few hundred units. I know cuz that's what I have. Could also be a ground loop problem with your cable box though (very common since the cable should be connected to the foundation ground). I suggest you try disconnecting the cable box, hook up a dvd or vcr through the svideo or composite and try the conversion. If it's still there either return the unit or contact Denon for their fix. Give them a call. My experience is not good for Denon's email support.

Check you mfg date on the unit and I'll bet it's about 1 year old. I think their fix had something to do with adding a cap to the video circuit.

BrianKan

Auditioning
I sent my unit back to Denon and they fixed the problem. They fixed the power supply and I believe updated the video ground. No more interference lines during upconversion!

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I have noticed that unless my 3803 is in pure direct mode, there is a high pitched sound coming from it. It resembles the sound a light makes that is attached to a dimmer. When the light is low I can hear a high pitched sound.

Could this be related to a problem from the earlier batches or is this something all of them do?

BrianKan

Auditioning
I am not sure. My unit did not have that problem, just video interference. I have not read of any issues with the early units other than the video problem. However, i know Pure Direct mode cuts off any video circuitry so it could be linked to that grounding problem. Could be an audio ground loop problem which causes hums, but not sure if it causes high pitched sounds. You may want to try plugging it into a different circuit and making sure your speaker wires are okay.
Try calling Denon and talk to one of their service technicians (there is an option in the menu). They would at least tell you if they've experienced similar problems with units or if the video ground problems of the earlier units could cause that.

Regardless, something is wrong if you can only work it in pure direct.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice. I have never had good luck with calling tech support for various products I've had so it never occured to me. I will try that and post if I find a resolution.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
in my experience (as a denon dealer for past year+), denon had had declining quality issues. its sad, because they are a cool company and can make some great products. ive seen issues with receivers, dvd players, etc...

if anyone is getting denon, just make sure you check it out thoroughly within the return policy... test EVERY feature even if you arent planning on using it, something might pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks