What's new

Denon AVR-3803 and Universal Remote (1 Viewer)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Hello all,

Just upgraded my receiver to the 3803 and am very happy so far with the exception of one issue, the separate buttons on the remote for on/off. One button for ON, one for OFF.

To those of you using universal remotes such as the Sony AV3000 Commander, how do you know handle the System macros where you map multiple devices to one button so, for example, with the push of one button you power on/off receiver, TV, and DVD player? Thanks in advance for any tips on the matter. :)

Chris_Cur

Agent
I just bought the 3803 a few days ago, but I ran into the same problem with my 1803. It meant I had to stop using my TiVo peanut to turn on/off my receiver/television. The lack of a on/off toggle code is a real oversight, IMO.

My workaround: I just programmed one button with my tv's and receiver's discrete "power on" codes, and a second button with my tv's and receiver's discrete power off codes. That way, one button turns my system on, and a second button turns the system off.

Remotecentral has a list of all the discrete codes out there. My main remote control (MX-500) can't learn discrete codes, but I can program them into my Phillips Pronto. Then I use my Pronto to teach my MX-500. It's a bit complicated, but it's worth it.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Rick: As Chris notes, the codes you want are out there. Plus many more that you may not even have considered. (Such as the Video Select command; direct volume jumps to 00, -20 or -40db; direct mode jumps to Dolby Pro Logic II Music, DPL II Cinema, and all of the other DSP modes.)

What you need a way to obtain the codes. There are a few different ways to do it. The cheapest way is to use a One For All remote that has JP1 capability. This link covers the OFA remotes and also explains what the JP1 protocol is all about. http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

I use a Home Theater Master MX-500 with my 3803. While I don't use a lot of special codes with my setup, I have placed a few of the ones I mentioned above into my remote. I used a OFA to teach the commands and a PC link program that works with my MX-500 to share them with others(http://www.irclone.com) Here is a link to a recent remotecentral thread I posted some of these new codes. http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...?keywords=3283

I haven't went into too much detail yet at this point because it would help to know which way you might want to go with all of this. The links I've listed have a good bit in them to digest.

I'm sure you'll have lots more questions. Just let us know...

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Well, what I wound up doing with my Sony AV3000 Commander was using 2 separate System buttons. System1 for ON, and the System3 for OFF. The only difference between the two is I used the receivers power-off button in the macro for System3 rather than power on.

It is a viable solution and the only drawback is that on and off use different system keys, but other than that I'm happy with the solution. Thanks guys, for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks