What's new

Denon AVR 3801 does it do AC3? (1 Viewer)

DannyS

Second Unit
Denon AVR 3801 does it do AC3? If not, what is my best option as I would love an Amp that Will do AC3. I'm hoping to get a laserdisc player to watch SE7EN Criterion. This has an AC3 track.
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Hi Danny -
AC3 is DD (or Dolby Digital) which the Denon will decode superbly. It will also decode DTS Laserdiscs/DVD/CD's.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Whoa there Kirk! One thing that will absolutley need to be added is the use of an AC-3 RF demodulator. The 3801 doesn't have one built in and it won't know what to do with the RF signal from the LD player. The 5801 has a demod built in, but that's the only receiver that I know of that still does.
An RF demod (it's an external box) will cost about $100-150 and it converts the RF signal into digital (either coax or optical depending on the demod).
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Good call Jerry - Since I don't have a laserdisc, I didn't associate AC3 with the RF.
DopeSlap !!!!
Sorry my friend ! (But the 3801 will decode AC-3 DVD's !!!!)
Perhaps I should have a disclaimer: I am not an audiophile, but I enjoy playing one on the internet.....

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
genius, why dont you get a se7en:platinum edition on dvd instead? i dont know nothing about the LD version but i'm sure the dvd version is much better than the LD.

DannyS

Second Unit
Got it already. Criterion LD completely different. That's why I have it. Different commentary, hundreds of photo's, poster designs....etc, etc...
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

KyleS

Screenwriter
"The 5801 has a demod built in, but that's the only receiver that I know of that still does."
The Integra Research RDC-7 also has one but both of these units (the 5801 too) are a ways out of the 3801's league or at least price range.
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks