Denon AVR 3801 does it do AC3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Aug 2, 2001.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Denon AVR 3801 does it do AC3? If not, what is my best option as I would love an Amp that Will do AC3. I'm hoping to get a laserdisc player to watch SE7EN Criterion. This has an AC3 track.
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Hi Danny -
    AC3 is DD (or Dolby Digital) which the Denon will decode superbly. It will also decode DTS Laserdiscs/DVD/CD's.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Whoa there Kirk! One thing that will absolutley need to be added is the use of an AC-3 RF demodulator. The 3801 doesn't have one built in and it won't know what to do with the RF signal from the LD player. The 5801 has a demod built in, but that's the only receiver that I know of that still does.
    An RF demod (it's an external box) will cost about $100-150 and it converts the RF signal into digital (either coax or optical depending on the demod).
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Good call Jerry - Since I don't have a laserdisc, I didn't associate AC3 with the RF.
    DopeSlap !!!!
    Sorry my friend ! (But the 3801 will decode AC-3 DVD's !!!!)
    Perhaps I should have a disclaimer: I am not an audiophile, but I enjoy playing one on the internet.....

5. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

genius, why dont you get a se7en:platinum edition on dvd instead? i dont know nothing about the LD version but i'm sure the dvd version is much better than the LD.

6. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Got it already. Criterion LD completely different. That's why I have it. Different commentary, hundreds of photo's, poster designs....etc, etc...
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

"The 5801 has a demod built in, but that's the only receiver that I know of that still does."
    The Integra Research RDC-7 also has one but both of these units (the 5801 too) are a ways out of the 3801's league or at least price range.
    KyleS