Denon AVR-2805 Component Conversion Questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adam*M, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Adam*M

Adam*M Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about buying a Denon AVR-2805 receiver, and I was wondering if anyone around here could tell me how good the s-video to component conversion in this model is. I plan to connect two DVD players with progressive component out, but also a D* TiVo with s-video out and a SVHS recorder with s-video out to it, and I want to run everything to the projector via component, so I don't have to switch inputs all the time.

One day I will upgrade the satellite receiver to HD, so the only non-component source will be the SVHS player, but I'd still like it to look decent.

Also, will this unit downconvert s-video to composite, so I can run video to a standard tv set in the dining room?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have the 2805 and S to component conversion is flawless. Keep in mind that it only converts the connection format, does not upconvert scanrates, so anything that goes in as 480i via S-video will come out as 480i via component.

The Denon will not downconvert S-video to composite. None of the upconverting receivers will do this. I haven't tried it but if you connect composite from your Sat box and S-VHS to the receiver as well as S-video, it might pass the composite signal out to the Dining room set.

3. Adam*M

Adam*M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steve. That's the exact help I needed. I don't expect an improvement in quality for the s-video sources, but being able to leave the projector on a single input is mainly a convenience issue (and wife-friendly!) My projector will automatically figure out if the signal it is getting is 480p or 480i, so there is no problem with that.

Adam