What's new

Denon AVR-2805 Component Conversion Questions (1 Viewer)

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about buying a Denon AVR-2805 receiver, and I was wondering if anyone around here could tell me how good the s-video to component conversion in this model is. I plan to connect two DVD players with progressive component out, but also a D* TiVo with s-video out and a SVHS recorder with s-video out to it, and I want to run everything to the projector via component, so I don't have to switch inputs all the time.

One day I will upgrade the satellite receiver to HD, so the only non-component source will be the SVHS player, but I'd still like it to look decent.

Also, will this unit downconvert s-video to composite, so I can run video to a standard tv set in the dining room?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have the 2805 and S to component conversion is flawless. Keep in mind that it only converts the connection format, does not upconvert scanrates, so anything that goes in as 480i via S-video will come out as 480i via component.

The Denon will not downconvert S-video to composite. None of the upconverting receivers will do this. I haven't tried it but if you connect composite from your Sat box and S-VHS to the receiver as well as S-video, it might pass the composite signal out to the Dining room set.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve. That's the exact help I needed. I don't expect an improvement in quality for the s-video sources, but being able to leave the projector on a single input is mainly a convenience issue (and wife-friendly!) My projector will automatically figure out if the signal it is getting is 480p or 480i, so there is no problem with that.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks