What's new

Denon, authorized dealers and internet sales (1 Viewer)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased two Denon receivers, an 1802 from a B&M dealer near where I live, and a 3802 from an internet dealer. I was able to get the B&M down 10% on the 1802. (Probably could have done the same on the 3802). The internet dealer was selling the 3802 for $793 (it was Reliable AV on Yahoo shopping). They are a part of Uncles Stereo out of New York City.
I had originally ordered a Kenwood VR5090 because I wanted the excellent video switching capabilities of this unit. When I checked my order on Yahoo I discovered it was rejected. A call to Reliable determined that they had delisted the Kenwood because they couldn't get any. Kenwood would not allow internet sales, I was told. But I could get a Denon 3802 (which was my second choice) no problem. I asked if he had them in stock and he said, "Yeah, we have 69 of them".
What is the deal here. Kenwood is able to cut off internet sales, but Denon is not? And if they did, would those 69 units get sold? I don't think, so, not at $1199 anyway. Is Denon playing games here? Either you do or do not allow discounted internet sales. Kenwood doesn't, Denon obviously does.
Any comments?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I believe Kenwood allows online sales of its regular line of merchandise by many vendors (at least mail-order, if not online), but is tighter with its new Sovereign line, which is positioned to compete with Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Onkyo Integra, Marantz, etc. Obviously, Kenwood is being very careful in the launch of its Sovereign line to position as a higher-end line. Crutchfield sells Sovereign gear by mail, but I am not sure if you can order it online. Crutchfield puts a "Call" icon on its web site for some merchandise instead of an "Add to Cart" icon. Come to think of it, I have seen Crutchfield use the "Call" icon for certain Kenwood components in the past.
Denon's web site is a bit wishy-washy about buying their merchandise from unauthorized dealers. Denon does not say that they will not back merchandise bought from unauthorized dealers outright. They say something to the effect that you may have difficulties getting products repaired if you buy from an unauthorized dealer. My take on this is that Denon is trying to discourage people from buying their products from unauthorized dealers since they cannot control in all cases where such dealers are getting their stock from (B-stock, etc.). However, it is possible that Denon does not take a hard line with consumers who buy their merchandise from unauthorized dealers simply because they cannot do so (i.e., because, ultimately, they have to back their products). There has been a lot of debate on this site about a manufacturer's responsibility, or the lack thereof, towards the consumer when he or she buys from an unauthorized dealer.
I have only bought from authorized dealers unless the item I wanted, and "had" to have, was only available from unauthorized dealers (i.e., as a last resort). In general, I prefer Sony ES components, which are available at discounted prices from authorized dealers, so I haven't had to worry about buying from unauthorized dealers too much. If I were in the market for a Denon component, I would certainly rethink my approach. Sure, I could buy a Denon AVR-5800 for $3800 from Crutchfield or Tweeter or $2800 from an unauthorized dealer. That's a significant savings! I won't be railroaded by Denon or any other manufacturer to spend $1000 more for the same product. However, I would do my homework to make sure I am in fact getting the same product for $1000 less, and I would make myself fully aware of the return policy of the unauthorized dealer before ordering. When perusing unauthorized dealer web sites, I look for a return policy stated on the web site as opposed to one given over the phone ("Oh, just send it back. No problem."
rolleyes.gif
).
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Keith:
Thanks for the reply. I agree with your thoughts re the savings. $75 on the 1802 was a no brainer. I went to the B&M. But more than $300 on the 3802? Again, a no brainer. I just don't understand where these so called unauthorized dealers are getting their stock. My internet dealer had 69 units ready to go! And it shipped same day, so I know they actually have them. Wishy washy is a good description of Denon's policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks