What's new

Denon 5900 Coming Available (1 Viewer)

Mark All

Second Unit
Since Denon states that DVI output isn't working at this time, does that mean that Denon doesn't do scaling?
Yeah, that does seem troubling to me too, but it is supposed to be fixable by the user with a software update later I think. I don't know why Samsung can get theirs working and Denon hasn't yet. Why even bring the 5900 to market with a scaler that doesn't work yet?

Jack.G

Auditioning
The 5900 has a 24 month warranty on both parts and labor. Sorry, it is not 12 months as has been stated. What is the warranty on the Samsung?

Mark All

Second Unit
The 5900 has a 24 month warranty on both parts and labor. Sorry, it is not 12 months as has been stated. What is the warranty on the Samsung?
Jack,
Crutchfield lists both the 5900 and the Samsung with one year parts and labor warrantees. Do you have information from somewhere that the warranty has been extended by Denon on their 5900? I would be surprised, because the U.S. warrantees for Denon's DVD players have been set at one year for some time. Denon's warrantees on their receivers (of which I have one) are for two years.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Something that must be remembered is that in constructing a component, it is just not the parts that are used. It is how they are implemented. Just because two components have the same audio or video DACs does not mean that the two will provide the same quality output. There are power supplies, capacitors, shielding, isolation, etc. to consider. One cannot necessariliy evaluate the implementation on paper. I suspect that the '5900 outperforms the '2900, especially on the audio side. Whether the '5900 is twice as good as the '2900 is, of course, in the eye and ear of the beholder.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Will anyone be comparing DVD-Audio on the '5900 to the '3800? I love the '3800 but am wondering if the '5900 surpasses it with DVD-Audio.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I will receive my 5900 soon (it's the dealer demo unit...). So I will have both the 3800 and 5900 in-house for a week. Will post my impression soon!

My dealer ordered a demo unit, but selling it to me. They have those under the cost sometimes...hehehe.

Jack.G

Auditioning
Mark All,
Regarding the warranty length on the Denon 5900, I got my info from listenup.com. It lists the warranty on parts and labor as 24 months.
You got me as to why there are differences.
Is it a matter of who you buy it from?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
You took the words right out of mouth Keith! There was an individual over at AVS who was rambling on about how the DAC's in the NAD's and Rotel are inferior to those found in the new Denon's and Elites. He supported his evidence with facts and what not, but the bottom line is....that I and nearly everyone who responded in the thread thought the Rotels and NADS outperformed the Elite's in two channel stereo despite the obvious superiority of the Pioneers DAC's. This person said the same thing about NAD's CD players as well, but despite this, they are considered the leaders in their class in sound reproduction. I rarely listened to straight two-channel when I had my Denon 1802/JBL NSP1 package, but when I got the NAD T762/PSB Stratus package, I never knew how good stereo could be. So getting to the point, I definitely know from experience that there is now a lot more to good sound than having an awesome DAC or video chipset. I would be surprised if the Denon 5900 didn't outperform the Samsung in video quality by a significant margin. Of course, in terms of audio I don't think there'll even be a comaprison.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, you just can't judge a component by the spec. sheet. I always point to the Pioneer DV-440 DVD player that sold for $150 a couple years back and came equipped with a Burr Brown 24/192 DAC. The component held back the sound from CDs terribly. :frowning: Of course, what do you expect for $150 when you are used to components costing much more? (Sounds snobby, I know, but just being honest.)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
My dealer just got a confirmation from Denon Canada they they are shipping my 5900 to him today. So I should have it for the end of the week or beginning of next week.

:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks