Denon 5900 Coming Available

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark All, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Crutchfield has posted its page for the Denon 5900 universal DVD player. Available from there on October 24 for $1999. Seems to be a fully loaded unit to me.

Crutchfield Denon 5900 Page

2. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Wow! What a rip-off! My dealer just ordered one for me for 2000$ cdn... You should shop a bit before buying it there...

3. RickLe

RickLe Stunt Coordinator

That's why it pays to live so close to the border [​IMG]

4. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Crutchfield always sells at the manufactured suggested retail price. There are other authorized dealers that will sell for a bit less. It just depends on where you go.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I saw over on AVS that the wholesale price to dealers is only $1200... At least you know how far they can negotiate.

6. Rod#S

Rod#S Extra

Rod
    Lévesque;

I don't suppose you would be willing to give out the name of your dealer. $2000 cdn is an amazing price. Are you getting a special discount or something of the sort. I was told the cdn retail was $3380 and the unit would probably sell for a little less, somewhere around the $3000 mark.

Thanks,

Rod

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Authorized Denon dealers in the US generally don't negotiate much in price with the average customer (i.e., if you don't know someone). That said, I would be curious to hear if anyone finds deals through authorized US dealers on the '5900 or any of the other Denon universals. Crutchfield won't budge on price, and Tweeter doesn't really either (they have an occasional sale).

9. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

If you live in South Florida, Brandsmart USA always give 20-25% off (sometime more) on Denon in store sales only.

10. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

$2000 price is extremely steep I think. I agree at $1500 this will be a good buy.

Definitely will wait till some reviews come out.

11. Jack.G

Jack.G Auditioning

You're right, if you know someone you can get the 5900 for 1500/1600. I know, I did.And it was an authorized dealer. And was a special order.

12. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I hear ya Lewis. I went for the 2900 as well, as I also wanted something that felt "special" and custom built. I have not done a side by side comparison with the 2200/2900, but a co-worker who had both said that the video difference wasn't really noticeable to him, but that the 2900 sounded better on CD/DVD-A/SACD which is about what I'd expect. I too wanted the 5900, but figured that I "MIGHT" sell my 2900 down the road for a little less than I spent, and put some more cash with it and swing for a refurbished 5900 from Dak mart or E-cost when they become available in a few months. Like you, I simply won't/couldn't shell out 2k for a DVD player as technology is just moving to fast in this area, and as you've pointed out, is the 5900 really twice as good as the 2900? I somehow doubt it. I wouldn't be able to utilize 1394 or Denonlink since my recently purchased NAD T762 can't support this, and I already have an excellent redbook CD player which does HDCD. AL24 processing is the major thing I'm missing, but I've heard mixed things about it from owners on this board.

Reg

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I hope Denon can soon enable the DVI outputs because that would be the major reason for me to buy the 5900.

If I can get one for around $1500 that would be sweet.[​IMG]

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Hey Reggie,welcome to the "club" [​IMG]
    I bet you that next year when Denon replace the 2900 the succeding model will be everything that the 5900 is now feature wise anyway.
    Reagarding the AL 24,I'm extremely sceptical about it based on what I've read from Denon,it reminds me of Pioneer's Legato Link Conversion.

16. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I'm trying to figure out where the extra value lies in the DVD-5900. Based on its specifications, it should be the best available universal DVD player when it comes out, which may account for some of its premium price I guess. The main differences I see between it and the DVD-2900 are different video DACs, the Genesis FLI2310 deinterlacer, DVI output, Denon's digital link, HDCD decoding, and a slightly higher audio S/N ratio. I'm confused because the same Genesis FLI2310 deinterlacer is available in the Samsung DVD-HD931 for $300 or less. Are the video DACs in the 5900 really that expensive? If the digital link is really nothing more than a firewire output, is it really expensive? AL24 processing (not the newer "Plus" version) is available on the Denon AVR-3803 receiver, which sells for $999. AL24 is really just Denon's proprietary upsampling logic to smooth 16-bit digital signals. I like it and think AL24 processing does work to improve inexpensive CD output, but AL24 is not expensive by itself. A good CD player mitigates the need for it anyway. And, why is there only a one year warranty on the DVD-5900? A top of the line machine should have a better warranty.

Could it be that the DVD-5900 is priced so high because it is supposed to be the hottest thing available? As the old lady said, "Where's the Beef?"

17. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Actually Mark,

The things you mentioned are pretty major imho. You will just have to decide if the 5900 is worth twice the cost of the 2900. Also remember that it will have a DVI output as well and it is built much better than the 2900 (which we know is itself a tank). I know the chip the 5900 uses does allow scaling, which I don't think the Samsung does. In all fairness to Denon, the only thing that comes close to offering all of these things is the forthcoming Pioneer flagship Universal player at $1600, and the Marantz 8400 is available for $1600, but is said to have average video quality for the asking price. I simply can't afford the 5900, and feel that it will be the best Universal player on the market when it touches down.

Reg

18. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

19. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I don't get it. Why offer a non-working DVI output?

It's getting harder and harder to justify any DVD player priced over $1,000. The technology is simply getting too cheap, and new features mean units are almost obsolete when they first hit the retail market. There may soon be a lot of $1,000-plus DVD players collecting dust on display shelves as more and more people start to wonder exactly what it is they're paying for.

Honestly, I can't keep track of all the various (and expensive) Denon DVD players out there. Seems like Denon is starting to compete with itself.

20. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor