Denon 5800 as Pre or ?..........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David*RT, Aug 2, 2002.

1. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 5800 being relegated to preamp duties. I have a separate amp.
    Is the Denon preamp audiophile quaility or should I go with a separate preamp w/ remote & HT out jack (around $1000 budget) to run my mains while the Denon does the other HT speakers.
    The sonic difference has to be marked over the Denon for me to consider spending additional $$$ for a preamp, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.
    If you guys advise for the preamp, can you list potential candidates?
    Thanks in advance................

2. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

David:

3. David*RT

Well, the rest of the equipment in my setup is audiophile quality.
    If it could be considered a "weak link" it would be the Denon 5800 as the preamp.
    But is it...even in "pure direct" mode?
    I need help/suggestions......
    [​IMG]

4. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

David...go with the 5800. I went nuts one fine afternoon and purchased two Cinepro Amps (3k6-375x6 to power the front three speakers, and a 2k5-250x5 to power the 4 surround speakers), but ya' know what, dude? I've never looked back. As much as I liked the internal amps on the Denon, the 5800 as pre-amp with all this available power is unbeatable (unless you're buying a McIntosh 7.1 pre-amp). Someday, I plan to switch the Denon for either the Cinepro or McIntosh pre-amp...but that day is not even on the calender as of this writing. The only never-ending problem I've had so far is with the groundloop demon (has nothing to do with the Denon).
    Speakers: Klipsch RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's, & pair of RF-3's in the center surround position.
    Speaker Cables: Monster Z2's.

5. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Let me throw in my experience. I recently went from a Denon AVD-2000 pre-amp/processor to a Lexicon MC-1. This is a huge jump dollar-wise but I think the AVD-2000 is comparable to the pre-pro section in the top-of-line Denon at the time, the 5700. Comparing 2 channel only, the MC-1 is far superior, as it should be, given the price difference. CDs that I could not stand to listen to with the AVD-2000 are now very sweet sounding. The AVD-2000 has a somewhat harsh sound which was not apparent to me when I originally paired it with a Yamaha amp. After upgrading the amp to a Bryston, I would get listeners fatigue within minutes. Whether or not you will see a significant improvement depends on how well the 5800 works with your amp. In my case, there was clearly a mis-match, YMMV.

6. David*RT

Would a passive preamp connected to the Cd player and the amp be a good option?

I guess, the passive pre would need a Home Theater out jack to connect to the Denon for HT duties, correct?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks...........

7. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

You can get really good 2 chan preamp dirt cheap - look at parasound 1500/2000 line, Sony TA-9000, and may others (if you search archives, there were quite a few threads on it).

usually you connect your 2-channel sources to preamp; also 2 front channels from your Denon to preamp; if you want 2-ch, use sources + preamp + amp + mains; if you need HT, you run receiver as decoder, and preamp in pass-through mode to amps for fronts.

This setup is popular as convergence between 2-channel and surround for HT.

Myself, I wanted encapsulating sound - and went with lexicon for Logic-7. My CD collection never sounded better; I can switch to 2-ch any time and wonder why this sound is so flat and limited in space...

_zjt