Which Pre/Pros or Receivers have two 5.1 inputs or ability to assign 2ch in to 5.1 in

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chung_sotheby, Jan 13, 2004.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Since it is the beginning of the year, it is once again upgrade time! Whoopee! I have really gotten into MC SACD over the last six months, but I am also really interested in DVD-Audio. The problem is that I have a Sony SCD-555ES and Denon 1600, which I am going to keep for a while. I would like to upgrade my setup to a pre/pro or receiver that either has two 5.1 ins or has the ability to configure 2 ch inputs into 5.1 inputs. So far, I only know of the new Sony ES and Denon 5800 receivers to have two sets of 5.1 ins, and I only know of the Lexicon processors to be capable of assigning inputs to become 5.1 inputs. If anyone knows of any receivers or processors that have either of these capabilities I would greatly appreciate it.
    Also, the 5.1 inputs must be analog pass-through, not digitizing, so that the signal stays unencumbered throughout. I wouldn't mind if the signal digitizes and only sends out a bass signal, but I do not want the 5 main channels to be converted in any way. Thanks for all your help.

2. Some of the older Sony ES do as well, I have the SCD-DA4ES and it has 2 5.1 inputs (one is even a 7.1 for future use or if you want one hooked up to the rear instead of side surround speakers

3. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

There are some current lower level Sony's also with two 5.1 inputs. It then jumps to pre/pros in the $5k range. You can make a $30 switcher with two 3 channel switchers from Radio Shack...

John

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

"has the ability to configure 2 ch inputs into 5.1 inputs"

I am not sure exactly what you are saying with this. Are you saying you would be ok with a 2 channel input as long as it has analog bypass? I know of no 2 channel input that has analog 5.1 inputs.

Anyway, my Aragon Soundstage has analog bypass on ALL of its 2 channel inputs (11 I think) plus a 5.1 channel input.

You CAN get some pretty good quality switchers that would allow 2 devices to share your 1 input. Thats another idea.

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Sorry, I didn't explain it fully. What I meant is that the new Lexicons have the ability to used three 2ch inputs and assign them to act as a single 5.1 input. I believe that the MC-8 has 8 pairs of inputs, so the unit can be configurable to one 5.1 ch input and five 2ch inputs, or two 5.1 ch inputs and two 2 ch inputs. I believe that the MC12 has the same option, but with more 2 ch inputs (12) than the MC8 (8). I thought that I had heard that the Anthem piece had this type of function, but I may have been imagining it.

As for the switcher:
    I realize that I can make a switcher with the Radio Shack boxes, but my main point of emphasis is that I would also like to limit the amount and length of cables that I use. By introducing the two switch boxes, I will have to purchase another set of six cables, and I am not sure if I have space on my rack to accomodate the extra wiring and the RadShack boxes.

6. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

I have the AVM20 and I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with it. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate someone letting me know as I would be interested in knowing how to do it.

JimmyK

7. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

The Lexicon MC-8 has the option to be configured with up to two 5.1 analog inputs. The MC-12 has the option to be configured with one 5.1 analog input. The Anthem AVM-20 has one fixed 5.1 analog input.

What the MC-12 allows you to do is assign logical names to any input on the back panel, including a configured 5.1 input. In conjunction with an external switch box and the MC-12's triggers, the MC-12 can have two separate inputs, i.e. DVD1 and AUX, control the switch box and two separate 5.1 sources seemlessly.

The AVM-20 can be configured to do this with an external switch box, but it is a bit more restrictive in its flexibility. With the right remote and a free unused zone on the AVM-20, like Zone3, an external switch box can be made to work.

Michael