What's new

Denon 3805 price in Canada (1 Viewer)

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Can anyone tell me the going rate for the new Denon 3805 in Canada?

I was in my favourite local A/V store on the weekend, and they offered me a price of $1595 CDN (~1195 USD). Is that good?

I've seen a few deals at US online stores for around $1200 USD, but Canadian online stores seem few and far between.

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

Well, www.avu.ca has the Denon 3803 on sale for C$1297 (reg. $1697). Assuming the MSRP on the 3805 is similarly priced then I'd guess you're getting it for about $100 off.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Interesting... I've seen people in various forum locations getting 3805s for between around $1100 USD (~$1500 CDN), so I can't help but think there's a better deal to be had.

Is it more expensive to import non-Canadian made electronics; thus explaining the higher cost?

Maybe I'll ask the store to throw in a component cable to seal the deal. I happen to need one, and their good brand is about $75CDN for a 6' length. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it's more expensive to import non-American electronics into Canada. Typically, most brands of receivers are more expensive in Canada (two exceptions I can think of are NAD and Marantz) presumably due to the lack of competition, a smaller distribution network and less direct-internet sales. You can always order from the US but of course then you have to ship it back there for any warranty work if they honour the warranty at all.

If the low price on the 3805 is US$1100 then I think C$1600 is a pretty good price, they should throw in the cable though considering it's likely marked up substantially from their cost.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I was thinking about the warranty thing the other night. Shipping it back to the US isn't cheap, and that alone probably justifies buying it locally.

I'm going to call and go for the $1595 deal regardless of inclusion of any cables. I'll still try for the cable of course. Worst they can do is say no.

Shiu

Second Unit
You could possibly save $100 or more, if you buy in Toronto, especially the one near HWY7/Leslie. At least try Bay Bloor Radio in down town Toronto.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Just another reason I want to move closer to Toronto. :)

In the case though, I'm not sure $100 saved is enough to justify the two-hour drive. Especially if something goes wrong with the unit. It would be inconvenient to drive it back, and expensive to ship.

BTW, just checked out Bay Bloor Radio's web site. They're listing the 3805 at $100 more than MSRP... Either they haven't updated for a while, or it's pricey there.

hansol

Auditioning
i lucked out in ottawa-from a reputable supplier
got 3805 for $1600 taxes included
also got denon mic for $65 taxes included

no regrets at all!!1

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Not bad at all... the best deal I've got lined up is $70 for the Denon mic, and the 3805 for $1595. But I've gotta pay the taxes.

Also quoted: a 1 meter component cable and a 2 meter component cable ($50 each), and one 1 meter optical cable ($25). $125 for these three cables (taxes included in this deal). The brand is apparently "Tributaries" (hopefully that's good since I can't seem to find much info on them).

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Kennedy Hi-Fi should be able to give you a good deal on Denon...you should be able to push for 10% off...

Shiu

Second Unit
Bay Bloor apparently would deal. Youre right they only guote list price unless you're ready to buy. I'm sure many stores in the Toronto area would sell Denon at much lower price than the MSRP. $100 savings is a conservative number. It saved me $300 when I bought the 4ES, compared to the Sony stores.

Regarding service, unless you get 30 days return policy, there will be no difference where you buy it from. After the "return/exchange" period, You end up sending it back to Denon anyway. The one on HWY7 usually allows return within 7 days. Good luck!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Those prices for Denon products are much better in Ontario than what we have here in Quebec. The only "authorized reseller" of Denon products in Montreal is Dumoulin and they are taking advantage of their so-called monopoly like a bunch of greedy a$$-holes! When I was in the market for a new receiver a few months back, I paid a visit to Dumoulin and their sticker price on the 3803 was $2200!!! I ended up getting the Yamaha RX-V2400 for half that, $1120 plus taxes. Yamaha receivers provide the best value in Canada, Denon and H/K is ridiculously over-priced in our country!

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
That 3803 price was pretty high, but wasn't that model a bit more than the 3805? I seem to recall the MSRP being closer to $1900 about a year ago.

One of the reasons I'm not interested in the Yamahas (both 1400 and 2400), and other sub-$1600 receivers is that none of them in this price range have 3 component inputs. So far, only the 3805 has that capability.

I've listened to the Yamaha, and although it sounds quite good -- it just doesn't have the extra component in.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Not sure if the 3803 had a higher MSRP than the 3805, but just out of curiosity I'll pay another visit to Dumoulin here in Montreal and find out what the sticker price on the 3805 is. I have a feeling it will be as ridiculously high as it was on the 3803.

I wasn't suggesting you buy the Yamaha 2400, I was just pointing out that its the best value in Canada. As for 3 component inputs, I personally would save the money on the receiver and use part of that saved money to buy a component switchbox and use the remainder of that saved money to grow my DVD collection. Have you considered that option? Just a suggestion.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I realize you weren't implying the purchase of the Yamaha. I've gotta agree, the Yamaha is a great bang for the buck.

The decision between a switcher and new receiver was something I slept on for a week. I finally settled on the 3805 because I was already planning on buying a new receiver soon; just not this soon. My trusty old Onkyo TX-DS656 -- with its lack of enough digital audio inputs and video inputs, and lack of DTS and 6.1/7.1 -- was ripe for replacement.

I actually have a component switcher, but a cheap one. It's a MadCatz, and I can see obvious degradation in the signal. A really good switch (ie. Audio Authority 1154) runs at least $200 CDN, never mind the cross-border shipping and duty.

So, long story short -- I'm killing two birds with one stone. New receiver with all the feature upgrades I need, and the added bonus of a switcher. And of course a quality product... :)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Aaron, I hope you've auditioned the Yamaha vs. the Denon. It would suck to buy the Denon and discover that the Yamaha would've sounded better with your speakers, always a possibility. Just giving you my friendly advice and I'm not trying to bias you towards the Yamaha.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I have not done an A/B comparison. I realize that might be a stupid move, but there aren't any other competing receivers with at least three component ins.

Let me state my speaker setup, perhaps an opinion can be made on it:

Fronts: Mirage OM-10
Center: Mirage OM-C2
Sides/Rears: Mirage OM-R2
Sub: Paradigm PS1000

Does the Denon match with Mirage speakers? After a few quick searches, some have claimed the warm/neutral sound of the Denon does well with the Mirage. That's good, assuming you like warm/neutral sound.

Basically what I want is a completely natural and full/rich sound. No gimmicks.

On a side note -- there will be lots of music playing too (CD/MP3/MIDI), not just home theater/movies.

Shawn_Mandel

Auditioning
Hi,

Just to let you know that I just bought my AVR-3805 at Kebecson for CDN$1435 + taxes. Their list starting price is CDN$2000. I am ordering the mic from them for CDN$65 + taxes.

Prior to that, I shopped around at Dumoulin where their list starting price is lower--CDN$1898. However, it was much harder to bargain down at Dumoulin since their rent expenses are much higher than at Kebecson. I was only able to bargain down to CDN$1755. Also, they aggressively push their extended warrantly program which I find is totally useless and a colossal waste of your money.

I hope this info helps

Thanks,
Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks