Denon 3805 or wait for 4806

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mylan, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I am trying to decide if I should buy a 3805 now or wait till the 4806 comes out and spend $2000 more. I am replacing a Yamaha 2092 that gets the job done but I want DTS, PLIIx, auto setup, etc.... I wonder if the Audissey auto set-up feature is worth it. Could use the HDMI switching on the 4806 but now run straight from the Denon 3910 to a Sony 60" WF series LCD, saves a cable, any ideas, anyone?

2. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I thought straight run should be better anyway. Regarding the 4806, no one knows how good it is going to be, I didn't wait for it because I didn't want to spend too much on a receiver. If I need more power, I can always hook up the front channel pre-outs to one of my power amplifiers. I doubt you can hear much difference between the two.

3. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Shiu, did you end up with the 3805? I think you may be correct about sound difference but I really want to hear that auto calibrate feature. the 3805 is great but I am no fan of that remote but with the 2K difference in price I could buy a nice Harmony or Pronto remote and still have money to blow.

4. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I did end up with the 3805 after failing to get a reasonable deal on the outgoing AVR7200 at the time. I used it with a power amp for the front channels, off and on for several months, but I cannot say for sure if I could tell the difference. Not even after I upgraded the front speakers.

For now, the 3805 is powering all 7 speakers all by itself. I may hook up the amp again soon just to help prolong the life of the 3805's amps. The 3805 does fine in both movies and music. Even some British magazines, e.g. What HI*FI magazine, gave it excellent reviews, ranking it favorably with NAD's T773 and ARCAM's AVR300.