What's new

Denon 3803 On Screen Display Problem (1 Viewer)

Now that I have a new HDTV cable box, and I am using component video connections on my Denon 3803, my volume adjustments no longer display on the monitor. Does anyone know how to get that to work?

Thanks

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I'm not running component in my 3803 setup but I think the only thing that works in component are the setup menus. On-screen volume in S-Video and composite only.

Chuck,

That sure seems to be the case, but I don't understand why it is.

I only have component connections. Prior to the HDTV box, I had an s-video connection to the regular digital cable box and the volume displayed fine over the componenet connection between the 3803 and my monitor. If the 3803 can display the volume over the component connection to the monitor, with an s-video source upconverted to component, why can't it display the volume over the same connection to the monitor without an s-video source?

Wierd.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Scotty,

Do you have an S Video cable plugged into the 3803's monitor out that perhaps isn't being used? Also, I don't know if this is helpful, but I saw this in the manual: "When a component video signal is input and when the 'Video Input Mode' is set to the component fixed mode at system setup, the on-screen display is only displayed when the System Setup, Surround Parameters and On Screen buttons are operated."

-Robb

Robb,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I saw that in the manual and promptly changed from "component" to "auto", but this did not fix the problem.

Are you thinking that if there is an s-video cable connected to the s-video monitor out, that the 3803 may be sending the volume display this route? And, further, if there is no cable that the 3803 would send the display out the component monitor out jacks?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Scotty,

Yes, the S video cable would take precedence, so even if you have it hooked to nothing, that's where it will go.

-Robb

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
the 3803 like the 5803 will not output the volume display through component when you are using component source (like DVD, or HDTV), but it will output the volume display through component when you are using composite or S-Video source. (or you can use the on screen button then you will see the OSD but no component source picture).

Because the On Screen Display is actually overlay output through the S-Video or composite and then upcovert through component. But once the component source is used then it bypass the OSD (no overlay)to keep the component signal as clean as possible.

TanD,

That does seem to be case. Bummer. The volumne level display, on the 3803 itself, is very hard to read from normal TV viewing distance.

That's the only complaint I have about the 3803 however. I upgraded from the 3300 and it was worth it.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks