What's new

Denon 3802 and G. equilizer etc ? (1 Viewer)

Nathan R

Auditioning
I am leaning towards getting the Denon 3802. Here are some of my questions.
1. I have a graphic equilizer (7 channel) from my current set up. Will I be able to hook it up to 3802. I like the control it gives for music listening
2. If connected to a DVD-A player does it handle bass well or is there some later up grade required. (some confusion regarding DVD-A bass management)
3. The remote does it always stay on and hence consumes battery within a few months. (a minor issue)
4. Any particular short comings compared to 4802 (apart from THX, power rattings, and more inputs)
I know everyone loves to talk about this receiver
Thanks

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
1. In general, no. There are no pre-out/main-in loop connections. Only pre-outs...The only option I can think ofis that you can use it if you run the 3802 as a pre-amp into separate amps.
2. There is NO bass management on the analog 5.1 (6.1/7.1) inputs. I am certain there will be no "upgrades" for the 3802 (it doesn't have any computer connectivity and hasn't been mentioned as upgradeable.) The only way you could have bass management on these inputs would be from the SACD/DVD-A player itself or something like the Outlaw Audio ICBM.
3. I don't use the 3802's remote, so I don't know how long the batteries will last. To my knowledge, the only thing that stays on is the LCD display (which shouldn't use much.)
4. I haven't compared it to the 4802. I use my 3802 as a pre-amp. I didn't care about the power situation and THX wouldn't mean much with the type of speakers I use. IOW, someone else is better qualified to answer questions 3. and 4. than me...
------------------

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The 4802 has better bass management ( not an issue if your main speakers can play lower than 80 hz)
To the best of my knowledge, the processor is the same in the 3802 and the 4802, so the only real difference in sound will come from the wattage and power supply differences.
THX certification is simply a marketing issue, most people think its important, but I think it's a waste of time. Every receiver that I have ever heard (including the 4802) sounds better with THX disengaged.
I would have purchased a 4802, but I could not afford it. I am very happy with the 3802.
If I was you, I would be hesitant to use a post processor like your equilizer. keep the signal path to your speakers as simple as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks