What's new

Denon 2805 (1 Viewer)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if anybody can comment on the Denon 2805.

I'm thinking about getting the 2805 because the right channel makes a buzzing noise on my Panasonic SA-HE200K receiver after an hour or so of use.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On overall value -vs- overall sound quality, the 2805 is probably one of the best products out there. A ton of bang for your buck for sure.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 2805 has great processing features but the 280x series has always had somewhat lackluster amps, only putting out around 35 actual watts per channel. You might want to look at the Pioneer 1014TX. It has all of the same processing features (PLIIx, component upconversion, osd, auto calibration w/ room eq) and a stronger amp section (probably around 85 - 90 actual watts per channel). It's available online (and possibly localy depending on what dealers you have) around $450 including shipping.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Just wondering if you could post links to actual power output tests on the 1014TX vs the 2805 or any other current model instead of speculating? Until someone tests actual per-channel power output instead of guessing based on past models, I hardly think it's logical to assume the 2805 is a weakling.

I've had the Pioneer VSX-45TX Elite, predecessor to the 1014, Yamaha RXV-1400, and currently the 2805. All had plenty of power to drive my 7.1 system.

The 45TX, btw, was a very nice receiver and I'd still have it if I'd not destroyed it with a spilled cup of coffee.
I'm not trying to knock Pioneer by any means, just don't think one should post unsubstantiated claims.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Well the 2802 and 2803 were both pretty unsubstantial when it came to power outputs, and the weight of the 2805 hasn't really changed any from the prior models, making it pretty clear that they haven't beefed up the power supply any. The 2805 would still have enough power to push speakers of average impedance to reference levels, but the power reserves and headroom just wouldn't be as great as something w/ more true power per channel. While it may be speculation it seems more like logic to me than "unsubstantiated claims", especially since I said probably when refering to the power outputs, not saying they were tested results for the actual unit.

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Back to your original question, Tim. I recently picked it up and couldn't be happier. Upgraded from and 1801 to the 2805 to take advantage of 7.1 feature. It has tons of features and sounds great matched with my Klipsch speakers. The auto set-up works reasonably well, and speaking as a novice, I am quite happy with the receiver.
Would purchase again without hesitation. ;)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Thanks of all of your input.

I understand the questionable stats of the output of a receiver, but I think that most home user won't know any difference because most home user play their media at a level that is acceptable.

I have KRK Rokits monitors for my 5.1 system. I also have a Velodyne sub and I live on the top floor of a condominium complex.

My current receiver puts out enough power for my neighbors to complain. I usually play my media loud and I like to feel the boom from the sub and having hard wood floors helps too.

If it wasn't for my receiver going out, I wouldn't be upgrading so soon. Yeah, I know, Panasonic is nowhere the best, but at that time that is all I needed.

I could probably spend a lot less then the 2805 and be happy of it, but I also think that what you pay is what you get.

Within the past year or two of having my rig, I pretty much replaced everything except the speakers. I even replaced the display due to defects. When I change the receiver, that means that I replaced pretty much everything that could go wrong.

This weekend looks like a $$$ weekend for me.

Thank goodness for credit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks