What's new

Def Tech PF 15TL+ (1 Viewer)

Keith J

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is SVS country :) but does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this sub. DEF TECH. PF TL15+

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I had one for a number of years was a good sub. Not the + model though. I know that this is a touchy subject, but it did benefit allot from a good subwoofer cable. I use Transparent Audio. Depending on length it is about $120 I think. It could shake the room. Mine was old so I have no idea how the new ones sound. But, although I loved my Def Tecs( I also had the pro400's and a C/L/R 1000), and they did sound good, sometimes Definitive was generous in their specs. That may have changed since then. Like I said my sub was old.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
My roommate has one in the HT room right now. I am not particularly impressed. It is a good sub. It's worth about 350 to me. Don't tell him though.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I used to own one, it shook the room well enough but was pretty much a one note wonder. I sold it and went without a sub for awhile rather than keeping it in my system. I was able to get my money back out of it so I can't complain but I wouldn't consider getting another either.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I used to own the PF15TL before the "+" version came out. At the time I was moving up from a 8" Yamaha sub so the step up was great. It was okay for a little while but it lacked the home theater extension and output I craved. A few years later I built my first DIY subwoofer. It was a Adire Tempest in a vented enclosure. It wiped the floor with the DefTech. No comparison in sound extension, output and quality. And it cost me half of what I paid for the DefTech. Which was over $700 at the time. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade so that would have been in, oh 97'/98'. I built the Tempest when I was a junior in high school, about 2002.

Still have the Tempest now. I think it would have to take three or four of the PF15's to match the Tempest.

Kernel X

Grip
Yes the PFTL 15+ is a great sub for the money. This sub really puts out strong bass. Great for a larger room. My receiver is connected to its LFE connection, which bypasses the sub's crossover. The gain on the sub is only at 1/3 and all of the controls to the counter-clockwise position. If this sub is connected to your system properly and is calibrated properly, this thing really rocks with any kind of music or movies! I'm very satisfied with this sub. And by the way this sub is far from being one-notey and has plenty of extension.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
It's not bad for a B&M sub but won't stand up to the Diy or some of the online only brands of equal or lesser price. I'm more partial to the M&K, Paradigm, and Bag Eng brands when it comes to the B&M but for movies it's above average.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Def Tech Pro Sub 80 today and so far I really like it. For a small 8in unit it is great. I heard the super cube too and it was even more awsome but much more expensive. I have not heard the model that you mentioned tho. But my experience with Def Tech so far has been excellent.

David Babin

Auditioning
I have owned this sub for about 3 weeks. I have the TL+ model and my listening area is about 20 x 22 feet.

I bought it to replace two STF-2's that, while they were good subs, felt a little underwhelming to me - maybe it was the size of the room.

It more than fills the room nicely. The bass is punchy and the sub has good control over such a large cone area. LFE with the Def Tech is much more a "feel" experience whereas the previous subs were a more of a "hear" experience.

I run the sub at about 1/3 as well. I use a cheap Monster Cable sub cord.

I have no complaints with the unit, or how low it goes or its extension. In fact, I am about to add another one - mostly for room symmetry and the fact that I simply like having twin subs.

Keith J

Stunt Coordinator
I went ahead and purchased three I absolutly love them. Thanks for the reply's guys but after my own listening test in my room I cannot concur with some of your comments. All I can say is proper setup is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks