What's new

Decent Center Channel for <$150?? (1 Viewer)

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to buy a center channel speaker for a 5.1 surround set-up. I have an avg Pioneer Rec, and really don't have a good set of speakers. I will be rebuilding the system little by little, starting with the Cent Ch.

I am currently looking at the Klipsch KSC-C1 for $120 from Vanns.com.

Any other suggestions or places to purchase would be helpful.

:emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The first one that comes to my mind is the Home Theater Direct Level Three Center. They just came out with there improved Level Three line to. It will be on the large side for some though. 23" wide.

I have never listened to the Klipsch, however, if you have a chance check out the Wharfedale Diamond center. I am totally impressed with it and for $139 shipped it was the best bang for thr buck. I listened to it at a local dealer and found it online (Wild West Electronics) for $30 cheaper. Good Luck!

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I will sell you my NHT 1.4 center, I bought it NIB about 2 weeks ago, I paid 140 and shipping will sell it shipped for 140. I have changed my mind on the direction I am going with my speaker system, I now have 5 NHT super Ones and the NHT 1.4 center plus boxes, paperwork etc, all perfect.
I will sell the 1.4 center seperate from the super ones.
The 1.4 is a great sounding speaker as are all NHTs, it is about 5 inches high and about 16 inches wide, I think it retails for around 400 bucks, but you can find deals on it for 160+

terry deto

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Terry
check out the radio shack / rca pro-c5550 (40-5038)
on sale at 68.00

like the panny rp82 you get a whole lot more than you pay for.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
sony's SS-CN495H is a very nice center channel speaker, and not expensive at all. good weight, very clear dialogue. sony's newer speakers are actually quite decent compared to their old offerings which were crap

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Good to see that you are looking at an entire package. I was just about to send this:

I'm not sure why this has not been asked, so forgive me if I've missed something here, but why are you starting to rebuild your system with a center channel if you "really don't have a good set of speakers?"

A good HT system will require (well, not require, but be greatly desired by most) to have the center timbre match the mains. Hence, starting with the center is not a bad idea, I guess, if you keep this in mind and understand that the mains should match that center. In other words, they should be the same type of speaker as the center to insure that the sound stays consistent when it travels from, let's say, the left main to the center to the right main. It is not so important to match the rears for HT use; however, I personally think it's a good idea, also. And if you're into surround music- then it becomes more important.

The most important part of your system, in my book, is the sound that it produces. Yes, the receiver is important, yes, the feature that you want to tinker with are important, yes, the players are important, but none as important as those speakers. So if what you want is a temporary center to enjoy, then don't spend too much on it unless you know that the mains you upgrade to later will match to that center. It's important to go out and listen to the speakers for yourself. Take along good vocals and some dynamic music that you are familiar with to listen to and enjoy. Once you've narrowed down your choices, bring the speakers home with you, but be sure to shop from a place that gives you a 30 day return policy in case you don't like the sound when you bring them home. Speakers will sound different- sometimes better, sometimes worse- when you get them home due to the different acoustical properties of your personal living space.

If I were rebuilding and sure that I was going to upgrade the mains later, I woud spend the good cash on new mains, maybe move the current mains to the rears, and then get a center, even a temp one, but I would do it after I upgrade my mains, even just to feel that my money was well spent on those mains. This is just my opinion mind you, and you may have a very good plan and reason for upgrading in the way you are. Also, many receivers have a phanthom center setting or the center can be played through the tv as a temporary solution until the dream center comes your way and you are sure that it is the center for your mains. If you can- look at some package deals- that's another way to insure the timbre matching of the speakers. Just my .02¢

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Ya, thats about all it's worth Jose..:D
Couldn't help myself Jose...

Yes tonal macthed front end, very important....

Cheers
Geoff

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the reason I was looking at centers first, is simple: I don't have one. Where as I do have mains and rears (although they are only 3-4 yr old pioneers, but at least i have something) I figured the center wquld be first, just so I could achieve an actual surround sound set-up. I am certainly going to add mains/rears soon, and am considering the choices for those when deciding on my center. The more and more I read, I am considering just getting the 5 speaker Wharfedale set-up. Then, the only thing I'll need to add is the Sub. :D

thanks again guys :emoji_thumbsup:

If you have listened to Wharfedale's and enjoy their sound. I would go for the Diamond series. Once again, check out Wild West Electronics, they have a set of Diamond 8.4(main), Diamond 8 center, and Diamond 8.1(rears) that cannot be beat for the price. I am currently running the same set up off of a Denon 1803 with zero complaints. My DLS 10" is on the way to fill in the gaps ;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Shane:

I think you will find the speaks set to small and a little work with placement on the sub, that the impact for HT will add a whole new dimension to your movie experience.

Trust me, even if you have the 8.4-towers, set them to small. Try the sub first in the corner of the 2 longest un-interupted walls in your room. Front or rear of room dose not matter. If in back, you may have to change the phase on the sub for the time difference.
Definitly work with the placement of the sub to get the best sound in your listening position. The 2-long wall way to start recommendation, is by others much sharper than I...;)

This method of starting should excite the most freqs in your room, (no gauranty) that it will provide the best results at your ("listening position").

Hope you find the sub satifactory..
Heck of a sub for the money....

Dom:
Sorry to have some what interupted the thread, back to the center suggestion programming.

Regards
Geoff

Steve- Yes "The Mighty Little DLS" will hopefully ship next week.

Geoff- Thank you for the placement suggestions. Yeah, even with the 8.4's I pretty much figured I'd leave them set to small. Two 6.5 inchers makes them look nice, but doesn't go that low.

Dom- Just to make it look like I wasn't trying to hijack youe thread :D Have you narrowed down you choices?

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I decided on the Wharfedale Center.. I ordered it over the weekend.. Can't wait to get it and actually use the 5 ch surround sound ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks