What's new

De La Hoya - Vargas boxing match (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the first 6 rounds:

Vargas won rounds 1, 3, and 5. Vargas almost knocked De La Hoya out of ring between the top and middle ropes in the 1st round. Vargas definitely had a power advantage at the start of the fight, and would try to get De La Hoya on the ropes or in the corners to punish him with body shots.

De La Hoya won rounds 2, 4, and 6, with quickness and a fierce left jab that kept Vargas contained, and some nice quick left-right-left combo's that backed off Vargas.

Then De La Hoya stepped it up, and won rounds 7, and 8. Finally Vargas had had enough and won round 9 (but it seemed like De La Hoya was just taking a breather from all that jabbing he was doing in the previous 2 rounds as he continual popped Vargas' cut on his right cheek to keep the blood flowing out of the cut. De La Hoya won round 10 with more quickness and ring management (avoiding keeping stuck in the corners or on the ropes by Vargas). You could tell that Vargas had no more answers to De La Hoya hitting him from different angles, plus De La Hoya's conditioning was better too.

Round 11 is where De La Hoya finally wore down Vargas enough to feint the right cross which opened up Vargas' right side, and De La Hoya landed a vicious left hook from out of nowhere (from Vargas' point of view) which landed Vargas on the canvas. Vargas got up, tried to put up his hands, but De La Hoya trapped Vargas in the corner of the ring and just peppered Vargas' head with left-right-left-right combo's, and Vargas wasn't fighting back. The referee jumped in to stop the fight, and De La Hoya won by TKO.

It was a really good technical fight between a superior boxer over a more powerful puncher. People who got it on PPV got their money's worth last night.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Patrick,

Thanks for the post fight blow-by-blow. I would have loved to watched this one.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I am heavyweight division fan but I caught this one and it was worth the time spent. You would think that De La Hoya would stop "taking a breather" in certain rounds. It cost him in the Tito fight.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
OMG! De La Hoya handed him his ass!
I usually dont really care who wins a fight, but Vargas talked so much trash, hes eating his words now :)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Armando, HBO usually repeats their PPV fights the following Saturday. Unless you don't have or can't find someone with HBO, you're in for a great match.

Angel

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That has to be the most satisfying thing about the whole thing: Vargas basically stalked and taunted De La Hoya for years to give him a fight and show who's the better boxer. And finally after all that jawing, De La Hoya simply showed Vargas to be a one dimensional puncher who had no ring management and couldn't decipher De La Hoya's left jab and finally got wore down and met the canvas in the 11th, and had no answer when De La Hoya just peppered him with that barrage that forced the referee to stop the fight.

I love it when bullies get whupped.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Yes thanks for the nice review. Glad De La Hoya won. Vargas just comes across as too arrogant for me.

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
That was a great fight Saturday night. I can't remember one I have enjoyed so much in the last few years. What really shocked me is the female judge scoring the the fight had Varas ahead by 3 points at the time. I completely agree that Vargas and De La Hoya were going back and worth for the first 6 rounds. Glad there was a definitive ending because some really great fights have been tained by terrible officiating!

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am heavyweight division fan but I caught this one and it was worth the time spent.
I also love to watch the big boys go at it but I dont think they are nearly as fun to watch IMHO. The smaller classes are just amazing to watch with the flurry of punches they throw. :eek:
Congrats to DeLa Hoya another great win.
KyleS

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was rather bizarre, the 2 male judges had De La Hoya up by 2 points after 10 rounds (both 96-94), but the female judge had it 97-94 (I think) for Vargas (she must have scored one round a 10-10 tie). That's just too big a discrepancy to take lightly. Either the fix was on, or she doesn't know what to look for in scoring rounds of boxing.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I missed a good one because of work... just my luck.

I'm very suprised that it took that long. I was guessing less than 6 rounds .

TSN in Toronto should show in soon and I'll be watching.

Bfent

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Word! So if i understand correctly, these judges were picked right?
I dont guess that female judge will work too much anymore :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks