What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Dark City: Director's Cut" coming to Blu-ray on July 29 (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
DVDFILE.com
"I DO like Connely's singing voice on the DC instead of the dubbed over version in the TC. The other girl might be more of a pro singer but it always seemed phony. The voice didn't match Connely. This is better IMHO."
I didnt even notice this difference. Thanks for mentioning that.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
Interesting statement, given what you said in the Starship Troopers thread regarding the statement "the TrueHD track seems to be a few frames out of sync with the picture. It's close enough to be unnoticeable for most of the movie, and isn't ever severe enough to be concerned about":
Yet somehow Dave doesn't pay enough attention to the "film", "story" and "actors". :D
I missed the point here...? Yes, I´ll be order both "Dark City" and "Starship Troopers" at some point. Both (I guess the jury is still out on ST) seems tohave minor "issues", but I can live with them. I´m against DNR, EE, etc, but based on this thread alone, I probably survive through "Dark City"..

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RobertR said:
Interesting statement, given what you said in the Starship Troopers thread regarding the statement "the TrueHD track seems to be a few frames out of sync with the picture. It's close enough to be unnoticeable for most of the movie, and isn't ever severe enough to be concerned about"
Audio out of sync is easily 100 times more noticeable then a bit of DNR.
Really good post Cees. Screen caps for me are always better to show framing issues pertaining to aspect ratio then the actual transfer quality. Seems like every capture program out there does something to the still. And the motion really is big factor. the Charlie Chaplin MK3 (Might have the wrong name, sorry) sets that came out a few years had major issues where the NTSC discs were made from PAL transfers. Some thing that showed on a still like Charlies watch string vanishing in "THE GREAT DICTATOR" played fine when watching the movie as your eye is tricked and fills in the blanks. Film medium on the whole is a bit of bag of tricks, the technology itself is all about fooling the eye. Of course, other things were still terrible.
I think this DC disc sounds a bit like that, where stilled you see some horrible errors, yet played, it's mostly alright. Some of the scenes in the Chaplin DVDs where horrendous smears (the famous Globe dance in "The Great Dictator where the panneled wall would blur in the pans). Watching it though, I was simply totally charmed by the movie. So yeah, I'd love a more perfect version, but I'm not losing sleep over what I got.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Oops, my mistake.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Audio out of sync is easily 100 times more noticeable then a bit of DNR.
Says who? I'll repeat the quote:
"the TrueHD track seems to be a few frames out of sync with the picture. It's close enough to be unnoticeable for most of the movie, and isn't ever severe enough to be concerned about".
So an audio issue in a "few frames" is a big deal, but if someone else is bother by DNR in some scenes, he's "too picky"?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RobertR said:
Says who? I'll repeat the quote
Says me. Joe average has no idea what anyones talking about when you say EDGE ENHANCEMENT or DNR, you have to show them that it's wrong. Children can realize if the audios out. If it's a little bit, then yeah, you can get by, but it's still more noticeable.
As far as you being picky, I never said that. Your peeve is obviously any kind of edge enhancement or digital thing happening to the film. That's okay. I'm more of an audio synch guy. That's okay too.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Joe average has no idea what anyones talking about when you say EDGE ENHANCEMENT or DNR, you have to show them that it's wrong.
I'm not talking about Joe Average, I'm talking about the people who have been shown EE and DNR and proclaim it no big deal, but when a "few frames" of audio are said to be out of sync, suddenly it's an issue.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RobertR said:
I'm not talking about Joe Average, I'm talking about the people who have been shown EE and DNR and proclaim it no big deal, but when a "few frames" of audio are said to be out of sync, suddenly it's an issue.
Calm down. The people here who have seen the disc said there's a bit of EE and such and that it's not that noticeable, that the movie draws you in and it all works. sounds like the audio out of synch on SS is very similar, more noticible in places then others, but not all through it and ruining the film.
Frankly, your taking this all to personally. It seems more like a case of you trumpeting the cause, and now that people are saying that it's not all that bad, your egos hurt and you can't let it go.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
your taking this all to personally.
Nothing personal at all. I'm just noting inconsistencies from people who have told others they're making too big a deal over picture quality, but when "minor" audio issues are raised, suddenly it's they who are demanding "perfection".

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sorry, my mistake. Just a case of things like
RobertR said:
who are demanding "perfection".
Where no one is actually demanding perfection with the audio, it's you over reacting that makes it seem like your taking it personally. It's okay if you are.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Where no one is actually demanding perfection with the audio
I think you missed where I put "perfection" in quotes.
What I'd like is for those worked up about audio issues to allow that concern to finally make them realize that concerns about picture quality DO have legitimacy, and not be quite so dismissive of them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RobertR said:
What I'd like is for those worked up about audio issues to allow that concern to finally make them realize that concerns about picture quality DO have legitimacy, and not be quite so dismissive of them.
No ones being dismissive of it. Your just choosing to throw your toys over it is all. These things, picture and audio quality aren't so black and white. They come in degrees, and those are different per disc, and even more varied depending on the equipment you watch them on. Just because you find it totally unacceptable doesn't make you right when the majority doesn't have a serious problem with it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Russell G said:
No ones being dismissive of it.
Not true, Russell, but I'm hoping you'll take my word for it and not require that anyone provide you with chapter and verse (or, in this case, quotes and links). That could easily be provided (and I see Robert's already working on it), but it would just inflame the situation.
It would be really great if we could all agree to be tolerant of others' concerns about quality, even if we don't share those particular concerns. Obviously, this doesn't extend to approving every mode of expressing such concerns.
M.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sigh....
From that thread:
Dude said the synch issue wasn't a problem when he watched it. See? It's varies by person. How was it when you watched it Roger? Oh right... you didn't see it....
no one says they WANT DNR, EE, or audio problems. We all want perfect discs. Just because some of it falls in the good enough category for some of us, it doesn't mean we're ruining it for you.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sorry Micheal, I don't see people as saying "good enough" as being dismissive, they just are more accepting. When Robert Harris comments that there's room for improvement, but it's still more then enjoyable, I don't think he's being dismissive of the quality of the discs, and frankly, I hold his opinion higher then pretty near anyone on here. People like to jump on things when it's speculated, and when the truth comes out (in this case, there's some EE, but it's tolerable), some people don't want to give up the fight. See "The Little Rascals" thread in the SD section where a rumor of DVD-5's being used prompted a panic of threats of pre-order cancellations for a similiar trend.
and I'll attempt to politely bow out now, I have the SD on pre-order. :P

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Russell G said:
Sorry Micheal, I don't see people as saying "good enough" as being dismissive, they just are more accepting.
I'm not talking about someone saying "good enough". I'm talking about someone who hasn't seen a particular disc accusing someone who has and is noting problems with it of "nit picking".
This has happened, and recently. I don't want to further derail the thread with specifics. If you don't want to take my word, PM me.
M.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
While I don't hold it quite as high as Ebert or many others do, I've always enjoyed Dark City. On my 42" plasma I could definately notice the EE, and DNR seemed to come and go in intensity. I'm disappointed, but but not terribly upset. This is an early Blu transfer and I'm okay with it for now. The audio and extras are excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks