What's new

Dallas, TX question on NORTHPARK 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
I was in love with this theater. They always gave the best performance possible from a movie. It was always projected flawlessly and the sound was simply AMAZING.

Northpark 1 was also one of the very first two THX theaters back in 1983.

Sadly, it was shut down a couple of year ago. I have not been able to find a theater that comes close to Northpark's sound. (My home theater is close but not quite a Northpark!).

Anyway, I had heard that the lead projectionist, I want to say Greg, had moved over to the UA Galaxy. Can someone confirm this? I tried the Galaxy many times but it still could not match Northpark.

Please give me your feeback and let me know if the projectionist guy is now.

I will never forget watching Jurassic Park and the original Star Wars movies at Northpark. Shame it is no more.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I didn't live in this area when Star Wars hit the screen, but still remember seeing Titanic in the absolutely stunning 70 MM and DTS at the legendary Northpark theater. It was packed there nearly everytime we went.

The Galaxy 10 is a fine theater, but nothing like Northpark. I was just there on Friday too.

The theater sound acoustics, hot coffee, and of course, 1st rate films were terrific at the NP theater.

Now, the 30 screen-video game- megaplexes dominate the scene.

Sad. :frowning:

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Yeah, I loved the NorthPark 1 & 2 also. I never got to see the STAR WARS movies but I did see JURASSIC PARK on opening night there. Also caught HOFFA, LAST OF THE MOHICANS, TITANIC, U.S. MARSHALLS, and THE SHADOW (those are the only ones I can recall offhand). I miss that theater. :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's where I saw the original Star Wars movies, too. Opening day, lines around the building. Shame I no longer have the programs I got there. I also saw Back to the Future there for sure, and I believe I saw Black Hole and Ferris Bueller there. What a shame to see it go.

Craig_O

Agent
Same here. I saw the original Star Wars at Northpark also. Never did see anything else there. I can't confirm on the projectionist at UA Galaxy but I love the theater for the 2 80ft screens they have. I saw Star Wars SE there and the sound was amazing. I still go there for all the big budget movies.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Anyone remember the Lowe's theater over at Central and LBJ near Benihana's? I used to like that theater quite a bit. Saw Ghost Story and Never Cry Wolf there, among others. Also, the Skillman 6 is missed. Terminator, Top Gun, Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Good times.

sammy segask

Auditioning
ask the guys over at film-tech . The projectionists over there agree with you that it was the best THX theatre. Do a forums search over there for 'northpark' and you'll see many threads. The thread titled 'Mr. Nasher strikes again!' has pictures of it being torn down, and includes recollections of that theatre by Tomlinson Holman. They also have pictures of the theatre and projection booth in the PICTURES section of that website. The Northpark and the AVCO in westwood, Los Angeles were the first two and the only two THX theatres personally installed by Tomlinson Holman himself. I live in here in southern california and people have told me how awesome the AVCO was before they chopped it in half back in '93.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Re: The UA Galaxy 10: When they opened it they had a gigantic banner outside touting it as the "largest screen in North America." A few weeks later this changed to "largest screen in Texas." I'm willing to bet no larger theater screen was built, they simply thought the latter would seem more impressive to a Texan. :laugh:

RIP Northpark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks