What's new

Dahlquist? (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Does Dahlquist make good speakers? I don't want any, but they have a 10 inch 400watt class D sub for $598. The, "QX125"
Has anyone heard it? Would one or two of these keep up with my Klipsch Ref??:D

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
Never heard of it.

But for maybe $100 more you could get a Paradigm PW-2200. That sub, for sure, will keep up with your RF-3's.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
For that price you can get an SVS sub. I'm sure it'll beat the pants off of any Dahlquist.

FWIW, I know Dahlquist used to make good speakers, about 10+ years ago. I honestly didn't know they were still in business.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Alex---If you didn't even know Dahlquist was in business how can you be so sure an SVS is better? Is it faith?

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
For that price you can get an SVS sub.
Not in Canada. After the exchange rate, brokerage fees and shipping, SVS isn't as good of a deal in Canada. The 25-31PCi will cost roughly $1000 whereas the PW-2200 can be had for under $700.

Edit: Also, that $1000 estimate is using the summer sale prices.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Dahlquist's were considered great speakers ten years ago and they were made right here on Long Island.
They then moved operations up to Canada. Haven't seen any write-ups about them in awhile.
I agree that for $500 bucks, go with a 25-31CS.
Link Removed
JohnG

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
That was $600 CDN people. :angry: Why do you USA people allways think a price is in USD?? I never have that problrm on this BB!!

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
lol, chill there man, I don't always look at where a person says they're from, and since the majority of this forum lives in the US, and I personally live in the USA, I just assumed it was USD. we apologize?

Nick V

Second Unit
I heard their three subs at Visions here in Edmonton, I'm guessing that's where you saw them in GP??

I really did not like them at all. They sounded terribly boomy to my ears, but if you like it, go for it. I personally think that there are a handfull of subs that can be had for that price in CDN $$ that are better.

I had an Energy S10.2 and I much preferred it to all of the Dahlquist subs. It was about the same price.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Yeah it was Visions. Thanks for the replies;)
I guess when the time comes a Paradigm2200 will be the best deal.

Marc H

Second Unit
The new Dahlquist QX line is one to keep an eye on.
We brought them on board at the shop last fall after being very impressed in auditions. Since that time, they have become our best selling brand in the shop, seriously.
The manufacturer is actually Amtec in Mississauga who has been an OEM subwoofer manufatcurer for many years building subs for many different well known brand names. They decided to launch their own line of subs and speakers and bought the Dahlquist brand name to market them under.
Their subs are very impressive and have oodles of headroom in the amplifiers. I don't find them boomy at all (maybe placement was an issue when Nick heard them) . Good clarity overall.
Their speakers are killer and are starting to get rave reviews.
A Quebec hifi mag rated their flagship QX10 a perfect ten out of ten last month.
Absolute Sound put their HT speaker package based around the QX6 bookshelf speaker on the list of recommended HT systems.
The QX6 has very impressive bass extension too for a small bookshelf speaker; twice now when auditioning them for clients in the shop, I have been accused of running a hidden subwoofer by clients :)
The imaging is very striking on the Dahlquists too. Very sharp and well defined; much better than any of the midfi competitors.
The entire product line is impressive and it really shows a lot of thought went into the design of each of their models.
I'd endorse and recommend any of the Dahlquists. I haven't found a weak spot yet. I have had only totally positive feedback from the clients that have bought them too.

Nick V

Second Unit
I found the subs terribly boomy when I heard them. Keep in mind that Visions does NOT calibrate their systems and that the sub was directly against the front wall in the listening room. I think they were front ported though.

Also, my guess is that the subs were running at least 10dB hot, so that could very well be the cause of the boomyness that I heard. I didn't like the sound, so I didn't bother going up to turn it down. Also, I think that they were very new, and they might not have been properly broken in.

I am still looking for a sub, so maybe I should go back and give them a fair shot, it indeed they are as good as Mark indicates.

Nick V

Second Unit
Oh Mark,
Are the QX speakers the ones that look almost identical to the Paradigm Monitor line??

The subs that I heard have the same finish as the Paradigm PW-2200.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Alex---If you didn't even know Dahlquist was in business how can you be so sure an SVS is better? Is it faith?
Tom,

I said that because I have heard SVS and for $598 US, as I had originally assumed sorry Matthew, I can't imagine a better sub. While in college, I worked at a stereo store and we happened to carry Dahlquist. At one point they changed production facilities and the quality of their speakers went substantially down hill and we eventually dropped their line. Since I hadn't heard anything about them in a very long time I assumed that their quality hadn't improved and they went under. Obviously, I assumed incorrectly.

Nick V

Second Unit
Alex,

If I understand correctly, you did make the right assumption. From what I understand, they did go under, and the name was recently bought out by Amtec. So, in reality the Dahlquist that we are discussing presently is a completely different company, and the only thing that they share would be the name.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Visions can't seem to to do anything right. When I was about 13, I went to hear a sub..He cranked golf. Yes, GOLF!!
They know nothing, and are very rude. I hate going in there! "Denon? Whats Denon?" Klipsch? We carry top brands like soundstage, and PA..??
They do look just like the paradigms;) I bet the paradigms are better.
Thanks for the replies:emoji_thumbsup:

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a review done on one of the dahlquist main speakers. It's not the sub, but it does give good insights on the quality and construction of the new line.
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/dahlquist_qx6.htm
From what I understand about these, they are competing in the same league as the Paradigm Monitor v.3. Their website is still under construction but you can check out the entire line at audioshop.on.ca.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I believe Dahlquist was ownwed by Audiosphere Research. With the likes of Acoustic Profiles(or something like that), Vivid loudspeakers(walk into any The Brick stores in the 80s and early mid 90s and these speakers were their big sellers) and the flagship speakers Signet.

Audiosphere Research went out of business or were bought and and a name change was incorporated about 4 years ago. I will say that the different lines of speakers, for the most part that this company owned, were not of the highest quality. The good news is that they didn't gouge one with their prices...they were and sold them as cheap speakers. I had a pair of Vivids that I bought as my first pair of towers in 1993. I saved 1/3 off the price cause my friend worked in shipping/receiving at The Brick so I guess you can say I got a deal. However, within 2 weeks I was very fatigued by the sound and was quite bored with them. Not to say Dahlquist is a bad speaker(never actually heard them) but Audiosphere Research is not a company known for great sound. A read a review once in Audio ideas Guide(take this with a grain of salt) but they were not overly impressed with a model from the Signet line.

What has happened to A.R. since has always peaked my interest. If I recall correctly, after A.R disintigrated they had a name change for a year or so and then dissapeared altogether. Kind of leaves one wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks