What's new

DAD- Wow! (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Curious that many DVD-A discs recently out (The Doobie Brothers and Queen) have the stereo mix in PCM 96/24. While I don't have a DVD-A player for direct comparison, a buddy of mine swears that the 96/24 PCM mixes played through a DVD-V player sound just about as good as the DVD-A mixes, and he recomends purchase of those discs for that reason alone....
Unfortunately, very few DVD-A discs have 96/24 stereo tracks authored so as to be accessible from DVD-Video players. However, some discs have this capability, with a DVD-Video session on one side with a DD and PCM stereo track and a mutichannel PPCM track on the DVD-Audio session on the other side. A great way to go that I sincerely hope becomes the norm in DVD-A production.

NP: 77s - "Tom Tom Blues"

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I had read that DVD-V players that support PCM 96/24 (like on a DAD) cannot play the stereo PCM 96/24 on a DVD-A disc. Is this correct?

For an example, I would love to buy the Metallica Black album for the PCM 96/24 stereo mix, but thought my Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD/DVD-Video player could not play it.

Can someone let me know if this is true or not. Thanks.

Jerry

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
It's true. The Stereo mix on the Metallica DVD is in DVD-A format and requires a DVD-A player.

The Dolby Digital track is awesome, by the way, but it is 5 channel.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
For an example, I would love to buy the Metallica Black album for the PCM 96/24 stereo mix, but thought my Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD/DVD-Video player could not play it.
I don't think the stereo mix on that album is authored as a DVD-V session. It is probably, like the vast majority of DVD-A releases, compressed using PPCM which excludes DVD-V compatability.

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff and Philip. This is the first I had heard about some of these discs being authored on both sides. I'll look for that on any future DVD-A releases I might be interested.

Jerry

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Interesting thread, I came into it thinking it was going to be about the Danish rockers D.A.D (originally Disneyland After Dark). :)
I have never heard of DAD before. Where can I find out more about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks