What's new

Custom Patch Panels (1 Viewer)

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to use Leviton QuickPort switch plates and snap-in connectors attached to a piece of 1/4" oak to make two 9" x 18" patch panels. One will be installed in the wall behind the television and one will be wall mounted behind the equipment racks. I will use standard electrical boxes attched to the back of the wall plate. I am trying to decide if it would be better to use metal or plastic boxes? Does anyone think it would matter? If so why? Thanks.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Assuming your talking about making speaker enclosures that way, either one will work as long as they are well dampened. You might want put a thick layer of bondo hair or fiberglass outside them to stiffen them up. If you dont want to do that I would do plastic, just becuase it won't resonate as badly as metal.

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
No these are not speaker enclosures. They will be patch panels for connections coming into, between and out of the components. (So there will be speaker binding posts, RCA connectors, BNC connectors, telephone and ethernet connectors, etc. on the panel). For neatness and higher WAF I decided to make patch panels and run most of the wiring behind the walls and ceiling. To help with wire routing and to help secure the wiring I am going to use standard electrical gang boxes behind each of the Leviton quickPort plates on the panel. My question refers to using metal or plastic electrical gang boxes. Thanks.
P.S Here is a Link Removed to the Leviton QuickPort products.

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
Either should work fine for low voltage applications. Are you running the cables through a conduit or just through the open wall?

~Crowe~

ChrisB

Stunt Coordinator
I used the leviton quick ports on my house, and used plastic boxs. You can see some of it here
If you use the metal boxs you can use the gangable metal ones and make it as wide as you want. I tried looking for a link but cant find one.

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. I will be running the cabling without conduit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks