CSW M80's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Ro, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Mark Ro

Mark Ro Agent

CSW is having a sale and I can either get the Newton M80's ($260.00/pair) or get the Tower II series ($499.00 pair). These would be used for my main speakers. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these.

2. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

I have a pair of the M80's and am very happy with them. They have clean strong bass response down to just under 50Hz, rolling off to its lower limit at about 40Hz. Overall response is very balanced and natural, this is definitely not a boom and sizzle speaker. The midrange is accurate and smooth, vocals and acoustic guitar sound just right. Some speakers reproduce certain types of music better than others, but these play everything I listen to well.

In my small apartment, I don't get much of a benefit adding a subwoofer, because these get low enough to let the neighbors know I'm watching a movie. Anything more and I would get a few calls. For the price you quoted I don't think you'll find a better near full range speaker.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Mark, I have a pair of M50s - the smaller cousin of the M80s and they're pretty decent. For that price, I'd give the M80s a try - especially with the 45 day return policy. My experience with the M50s is similar to Dave's - they seem very balanced. If you're buying from a local shop, then bring in some of your cds/music and ask them to demo them and see how you like the sound.

good luck,

--tom