What's new

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation in HD (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
The original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000–2015) and its spin-offs, CSI: Miami (2002–2012) and CSI: NY (2004–2013), were initially edited on standard definition videotape. Does anyone know if all three were shot on 35mm from the start, providing the (admittedly unlikely) potential for a re-scanned, re-edited HD makeover, à la The X-Files? At which point did each series transition to full HD?

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Aha! I was under the mistaken impression that CSI Season 1 Blu-ray contained the episodes in SD, rather than 1080i, meaning they didn't currently exist in HD. That's excellent news: although those series' release on BD is currently very spotty and spread between the US, Germany and Oz, at least the material is there for possible future release... Thank you.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the deal was, unfortunately, that Season 1 in Blu-ray did not sell enough for them to consider to worthwhile to continue. Season 9 was released on Blu-ray as well in the U.S., (that was the first "new" season to have a BD release day and date with the DVD), but they didn't sell enough to continue. I would be very happy to rebuy Seasons 2-8 on Blu-ray but I don't think we'll ever get that chance.

(CBS unfortunately has a bad habit of not releasing most of their new shows to Blu-ray.)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Returning to my original assertion, although the season 1 BD is 1080i, is it possible it's actually just upscaled 480i and therefore not actually true HD after all? There are plenty of screenshots here.

As for the erratic and incomplete BD releases of different seasons in different countries, it's clearly down to lack of sales but a great shame. I'd certainly buy seasons 1–6 on BD and possibly up to season 9 too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Returning to my original assertion, although the season 1 BD is 1080i, is it possible it's actually just upscaled 480i and therefore not actually true HD after all? There are plenty of screenshots here.

As for the erratic and incomplete BD releases of different seasons in different countries, it's clearly down to lack of sales but a great shame. I'd certainly buy seasons 1–6 on BD and possibly up to season 9 too.

Having recent purchased and watched the Season 1 BD, I can state with 100% certainty that it's absolutely true HD. Compared to the old DVD set, or even to HD broadcasts on cable, it's a revelation. I got it on Amazon for under $15 and am very satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks