What's new

crt projection hdtv (1 Viewer)

DrakeRake

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Are any manufacturers making them anymore? Front or rear. I am really set against a dlp or lcd and 400$ lamp changes. Plus the fact that I don't think the lcd and dlp have a very good picture from the ones I've seen, in homes and in stores. So am I doomed to waiting until the new breed gets better and bulbs drop in price? And will bulbs ever drop in price?
thanks

Hank_P

Second Unit
Hitachi is the last of the rear proj. crt manufactures. If you want one, better get it now.. after this year, they will be like a canned "Tab" drink... a thing of the past ;)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
WAIT! So, when my Tosh dies, as it will sooner rather than later, I am SOL when it comes to buying a new CRT RPTV? So, when I recommend to friends that CRT RPTV is "better" for film viewing, I'm basically giving useless advice since they can't buy a CRT RPTV no more?

Oh no. This is awful. :frowning:

Are my only choices then LCD RPTV, a projector/screen combo (something I just don't feel like getting into) or... or what? Please help!

What can I do? Should I buy a couple Hitachi sets and store them away?

MC

DrakeRake

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ

What would you recommend for a good used front crt that does hdtv and widescreen? Nothing in the $10000cdn+ range , to rich for me.
I got about 4500$ to spend, and was gonna buy the 65" toshiba. But now that i got the savings , it is no more :P . Just my luck.
thanks

And has anyone seen the picture on the hitachi 65F59 CRT HD Projection TV. I dont know anything about them. thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

There are HDCP compliant digital input cards for many CRT projectors, this need not be an obstacle.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen where bulbs are routinely $400. Most are around $200. If you pay a technician to change the bulb it could cost alot. But if you own a pair of hands you can change the bulb. I also feel that the cost of these will go down over time. When you actually have to change it in 2 to 3 years I wouldn't be surprised to see them at The $100 mark at that point. I have a Samsung DLP and love it. I think if you have the room the CRT is not a bad choice. Most have auto convergence and display a good picture. I agree with the earlier poster that they are going to become rare quickly. New technology is pushing it out. There is something to be said about a 50 inch tv that weighs 60 pounds.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Are these cards dongles you can plug and play yourself or do they require a soldering iron and/or an ISF calibrationist to install? Do they work with any projector?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

They are projector specific input cards, much like any other standard input card, and are often easily installed. Details can be found elsewhere.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
HD-DVD and BluRay players will output 1080i via component for HD-DVD and BluRay discs, and will for the forseeable future, as the studios have agreed not to use the copy protection flag until at least 2010. They will not upconvert SD dvd via component.

The current Hitach crt based sets do have HDMI inputs anyway.

I own both a Toshiba HD-DVD player and the Samsung BD player. Both are connected via component to a 5 year old Sony KP57-HW40 crt based widescreen HD-Ready set and both output 1080i to the tv except with SD dvd. The lack of SSE (silk-screen effect), lack of set-induced digital artifacting, superior color rendition and black levels on the set make it a perfect display for producing a film like image from these new formats.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

Hitachi was making HDCP compliant models going back to 2002 , even when they only had DVI connections. HDCP/DVI was one of my requirement when I decided to buy the SWX model almost 4 strong years ago..

Hitachi in North America

A Popular local electronic store still advertises a new 51” Philips CRT-RPTV for less than $900.00 usd.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'm bumping this little thread because I have been left with little or no answer.

So, when my CRT craps out, WHAT DO I GET? LCD projection, with little pixal grids on the screen? LCoS projection? Certainly not DLP, with a little spinning color wheel, right?

What would be your expert advice for someone who watches MOVIES?

(I'm not necessarily looking for a brand. I'm looking for a CRT-like large-screen movie-viewing technology.)

Help!

(Thanks!)

MC

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony SXRD, Sony's version of the LCoS technology. For HD broadcasts, this set looks incredible. For SD, it looks bad compared to a CRT. Since HD is the wave of the future, and the channel choices for HD is increasing, I suggest you go with a technology that will give you a great image for HD broadcasts.

Rolando

Screenwriter
First of all as Alfonso_M mentioned HDCP is NOT a problem at all. any TV of the last 3-4 years are HDCP compliant. So if your CRT RPTV is from Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, Mitsubishi or any other big gun and was manufactured in 2003 or later (Maybe even 2002) and it has a DVI or HDMI input then you are good to go!

As for what to get when your TV dies on you? Well I would not worry. There will have to be a CRT RPTV available somewhere. There are still some at store for now. Even though they are on their way out and some companies already say they don't make them there will be some available somewhere in some store warehouse for at least another 2 year. For sure.

After 2 years? Well we don't know I guess. I still think SOME company will still have some OR 2 years from new the new tech should have caught up. 1080p LCOS and 1080p plasma might be looking so good by then we might not care. Heck even price might be good to compete with SED and some other tech we have not even heard of yet.

I can't believe that all the picky guys will have no choice but to settle for crap. This is North America after all, we can get whatever we want for a price. No more Vynil production has not stopped the die hard vinyl collector's from getting their Beatles Album on Vinyl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks