What's new

Criterion's possible January releases (brace yourselves!!) (1 Viewer)

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
OK. I *thought* I remembered that...I've been holding off on the current DVD and since I've got HE on LD, I'll wait and see...definately looking forward to more Powell/Pressburger though.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Both versions of the Killers would be sweeter.
I would love to see a double feature that includes the other Siodmak noir classic Criss Cross also starring Burt Lancaster. I hope that this also means that Criterion will eventually release Double Indemnity.
In any case I will be picking up The Killers and Trouble in Paradise.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Definitely down for Trouble In Paradise, Band of Outsiders, and Pepe Le Moko. I'll look into The Killers, I don't really know anything about it, but given the response here, sounds like one I shouldn't overlook.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
THRILLED to hear about Band of Outsiders finally getting released!!!

Does this mean Fear and loathing in Las Vegas will have a 5.1 soundtrack this time? I sure hope so.
If I remember correctly, the film only had a Dolby SR soundtrack theatrically, despite what was mentioned in the end credits of the film.

Jason

BrentJ

Second Unit
If I remember correctly, the film only had a Dolby SR soundtrack theatrically, despite what was mentioned in the end credits of the film.
Then what would make someone want to buy another version of this film? I'm a huge fan of this film and felt that the original transfer was good enough. The only thing that would make me buy this film again would be if they have added a 5.1 soundtrack and lots of extras. Just because they add "criterion" on the box doesn't mean I'll double dip on this one.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
TROUBLE IN PARADISE will be mine!:D
I guess people who are holding onto their " Lubitsch Touch" laser boxsets should sell them now before more DVD releases render them worthless.;)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
A Fear and Loathing Criterion disc?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'm glad to see it's getting a special edition. I hope Thompson does a commentary. *crosses fingers*

TonyRyan

Grip
Nice. Band of Outsiders is one I have been waiting for for a long time.

And Fear and Loathing is a huge surprise. Any Gilliam is good for me.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It is indeed a surprise to hear of Criterion releasing their own edition of Fear and Loathing. I once quipped to one of my associates (a true Gonzoite) that Fear and Loathing should get the Criterion treatment some day. We both bawled with laughter.

Not laughing now!

When the going gets weird - the weird go Criterion, I guess... :p)

G.C.M

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of those excited about Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas too. It's the one Gilliam movie without an audio-commentary track, so I kept hoping Criterion would eventually get the rights, or that Universal would give it the deluxe treatment (which seemed less likely). Now the wait is almost over!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News!

I'll be picking up 6 of those releases. What an expensive month January's going to be.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, I like your proposed artwork! :emoji_thumbsup:
"Ma-gic mo-ments..." :D
Man, that movie has some of the best song-and-image moments in the Cinema Lexicon! Great stuff.
Gordy

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Criterion has posted the January releases on their website. Band of Outsiders, Pepe le moko and Trouble in Paradise seem to be it. No Victim, no Fear and Loathing, no The Killers, and no I See a Dark Stranger. It could be that those are still scheduled for January and Criterion has only posted the January 7th releases but it seems more likely to me that they aren't coming out in January than it does that Criterion would be releasing seven titles in one month.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I'll be there for Fear, Pepe, and Trouble.
I'm still desparately clinging to my Fisher King Criterion LD, and still on the lookout for Munchausen as well. Any Gilliam commentary is worth the price of admission, and then some!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks