What's new

Criterion re-releases Fritz Lang's "M" (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
From the Criterion Collection Website:

Fritz Lang's M to be Re-Released in 2004

The original Criterion edition of Fritz Lang's groundbreaking suspense masterwork M will be taken out of print on March 31 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film, slated for release late in 2004. The upcoming re-release of M will feature a pristine transfer from newly restored film elements, as well as a host of new special features. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
This is one film I have been meaning to purchase for a long time, now i'm glad I waited.

When Criterion re-release a title, do they keep the same spine number?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news. I held off on buying that one largely because there weren't any extras on the original release, so I'll be all over the re-release.

John Watson

Screenwriter
M, Beauty & Beast, hmm

Gotta stop buying Criterion first editions, so many of mine get "new, improved" editions :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It was well worth Criterion creating new transfers and extras for Beauty and the Beast, as the new restored elements were substantially better and the added extras were informative.

The current transfer of M from Criterion isn't that hot, but as the following comparison reveals, the newly restored elements are far better:

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/m.htm

I have so far held off buying the superior Eureka edition and I will do so until I have read reviwes of the new Criterion edition. I've got a feeling that the Criterion won't have the extras from the Eureka edition.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Gordon, currently £9.99 from CD Wow (and it's listed as 'Region Free' there); no excuse not to buy it at that price. There are some £1 off links flying about the 'net too...

---
So many films, so little time...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't got this yet, so I'm a happy camper! It could be pretty expensive to double dip a Criterion!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I'm tempted to order... but if the Criterion ends up having identical extras and/or a superior transfer (if that's possible/always room for improvement on transfers, though; high-def, etc) then I would feel silly - I don't like owning more than one DVD of a film unless I really have to.

I'll be waiting at least until the Criterion specs are released.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the captures on DVD Compare, the Eureka version looks like it's been artificially sharpened. Things have a digital edge to them that's quite inappropriate. Hopefully Criterion won't do that.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
With so many Criterion titles coming out, it's gonna be a tough decision whether I should double dip or not on this title. It was a blind buy and I think I've only watched it once or twice so far.

Hopefully someone on here will have some information soon to make my decision easier!

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry

One of the producers of the Eureka release responded to this issue on the DVDBeaver page linked to earlier.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark for the update on M, like most I have held off buying M and now I will get the Criterion Edition

Also thnaks to the cd wow link, always good for another dvd

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks