What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Pickup on South Street (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SKTYhcSrnizW7tJjNKuLcpAyIpo435_large.jpg

Petty crook Skip McCoy (Richard Widmark) has his eyes fixed on the big score. When the cocky three-time convict picks the pocketbook of unsuspecting Candy (Jean Peters), he finds a more spectacular haul than he could have imagined: a strip of microfilm bearing confidential U.S. information. Tailed by manipulative Feds and the unwitting courier’s Communist puppeteers, Skip and Candy find themselves in a precarious gambit that pits greed against redemption, right against Red, and passion against self-preservation. With its dazzling cast and writer-director Samuel Fuller’s signature hard-boiled repartee and raw energy, Pickup on South Street is a true film noir classic by one of America’s most passionate cinematic craftspeople.

FILM INFO

Samuel Fuller
United States
80 minutes
Black & White
1.33:1
English
Spine #224
SPECIAL FEATURES

On the Blu-ray: New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
On the DVD: High-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound

New interview with critic Imogen Sara Smith, author of In Lonely Places: Film Noir Beyond the City (Blu-ray only)
Interview from 1989 with director Samuel Fuller, conducted by film critic Richard Schickel
Cinéma cinémas: Fuller, a 1982 French television program in which the director discusses the making of the film
Illustrated biographical essay on Fuller (DVD only)
Complete Fuller poster filmography (DVD only)
Stills galleries of photos, lobby cards, and original paintings (DVD only)
Trailers
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: An essay by critic Angelica Jade Bastién and a chapter from Fuller’s posthumously published 2002 autobiography, A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking, for the Blu-ray; essays by Martin Scorsese and acclaimed cultural historian Luc Sante for the DVD
Blu-ray cover by Eric Skillman (pictured); DVD cover by Lucien S. Y. Yang

June 29. 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
The Blu-ray and the DVD have different special features and different essays. That has probably happened before, but the differences seem significant here.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The Blu-ray and the DVD have different special features and different essays. That has probably happened before, but the differences seem significant here.

It appears they are not upgrading the DVD but merely reissuing the version they released in 2004, then listed as New High-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound, on the back cover. Note their Film Info for the release no longer notes the DVD transfer as 'new'.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't regret for a moment buying the Region B Blu-ray a year ago or so as I've already enjoyed it several times. This should be a very special release, however.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't regret for a moment buying the Region B Blu-ray a year ago or so as I've already enjoyed it several times. This should be a very special release, however.
The same here when I purchased it back in 2015! I'll be buying the Criterion BD too, but will do so during a sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I expect the new stream from this 4K Master will be on the Criterion Channel in the very near future. I'll immediately watch it then on that streaming service.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Finally ! Criterion Upgrades the DVD. I have the Eureka Region B Bluray for a few years. Will be getting this New 4K Digital Restoration ! :D :banana: Love this movie.
pickup-on-south-street-movie-poster-1953-1020413528.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That's standard. Text and still galleries usually don't make it onto the blu rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks