What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Devi (1960) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
xNsamgU90AgSxCEEf6WJUqadV2dfxm_large.jpg

Master filmmaker Satyajit Ray explores the conflict between fanaticism and free will in Devi (The Goddess), issuing a subversively modern challenge to religious orthodoxy and patriarchal power structures. In the waning days of mid-nineteenth-century India’s feudal system, after his son Soumitra Chatterjee) leaves for Kolkata to complete his studies, a wealthy rural landowner (Chhabi Biswas) is seized by the notion that his beloved daughter-in-law (a hauntingly sad-eyed Sharmila Tagore) is the reincarnation of the goddess Kali—a delusion that proves devastating to the young woman and those around her. The opulently stylized compositions and the chiaroscuro lighting by cinematographer Subrata Mitra heighten the entrancing expressionistic intensity of this domestic tragedy, making for an experience that is both sublime and shattering.

FILM INFO​

• India
  • 93 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • Bengali
  • Spine #1102

• SPECIAL FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • New program featuring interviews with actors Sharmila Tagore and Soumitra Chatterjee, recorded in 2013
    • New video essay by film scholar Meheli Sen
    • New English subtitle translation
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Devika Girish

Cover based on an illustration by Satyajit Ray

October 26, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
An astonishing film, one of my top 100. I hope this release gets more people to check it out.
Agreed - top tier Satyajit Ray, which means it is among the greatest films ever made. I would rate this up there with the legendary Apu Trilogy. The Indian film industry is the largest in the world and so very few films are available to western audiences. The Criterion Collection also has Ritwik Ghatak's The Cloud Capped Star and Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding.

I'm glad that Criterion is continuing to release such a diverse slate and when they release a historical classic with a great new transfer, it is cause for celebration. The only title with anything remotely Bollywood in it, is Terry Zwigoff's Ghost World (the opening titles!).

IMG_4832.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks