What's new

Criterion Hitchcock Box Set (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've never really understood why Notorious was so well thought of.
Ingrid Bergman is a goddess, that's why. :)

I just really love this movie, my favorite of the 5 sold by Criterion.

I bought the Kurusawa samurai box set but threw out the box, as it's just cardboard. I'd rather arrange my Criterions by spine number.

I already own The Lady Vanishes, just bought Notorious and ordered Rebecca. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier.

Maybe I could cancel Rebecca and sell the other two discs then buy the box set.

WillardK

Second Unit
I just got this despite not really wanting Spellbound (which has the first pixel shifting I've ever noticed on a Criterion disc). The Lady Vanishes is the only other one I've watched so far and it looks terrific.

The box itself is nothing to get excited over. Nice design but it's a fairly cheap construction.

Working my way 'up' my own personal list, I'll watch Rebecca next, then 39 Steps and finish off with Notorious.

Even the commentary (with good insightful points but mostly pedestrian) for Spellbound alternatively makes excuses for and defends the film. Her frequent mentioning of Marnie highlights that these are two of Hitchcock's worst for many of the same reasons. It's of some interest and has fun moments (mostly of unintended humor), but I definitely wouldn't have purchased this one outside of the set.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I already have all of the discs, but would love to get my hands on the box. If anybody isn't planning on keeping their box, I would appreciate it.

I'm perplexed at the amount of "Spellbound" bashing that goes on. It's obviously not one of Hitch's best, but it would be close to breaking my personal top 10. I prefer it over Notorious for sure.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Spellbound is probably a bit weak compared to some of his other early US titles (Rebecca, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious...), but it's almost unfair to some of Hitchcock's 'lesser' films to put them up against movies of such astounding quality.

Spellbound certainly is enjoyable, it just wouldn't make my top 10 list of Hitchcock films... but that's nothing for it to be ashamed of :)

And btw, Marnie WOULD make that list... it's very underrated, IMHO, and features some great performances (I'm not fond of Hedron in The Birds, but thought she was great in Marnie--though I do wish Grace Kelly had given it a shot).

If you buy both Alfred Hitcock Collection Box Sets and this Criterion set, will you have every major Hitchcock film ever made (besides North by Northwest) ?

BarryS

Second Unit
I will most likely be picking up this set. I don't own any of the titles, but have been drooling over the Notorious, Spellbound and Rebecca discs. I have yet to see 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

Man, I wish Criterion would release Foreign Correspondent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks