What's new

Criterion Hitchcock Box Set (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Posted on the Criterion Home Page .

I like that they are doing these box sets (Kurosawa, Truffaut) as I don't have too many Criterions. It's an easy (and cheaper) way for me to catch up.

I haven't seen any of these Hitchcock films yet. Same goes for the Truffaut films.

Someone want talk me into (or out of) buying them?

What other previous Criterion releases lend themselves well for box sets?

Shaun

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Great stuff! Just need to get rid of my Anchor Bay Spellbound now...

I was mad when the Kurosawa box set came out since I already had 3 of the 4 DVDs of the set and paid more for the 3 total than the box set is selling for.

I guess I'll wait before buying the Fellini and Bergman releases, a box set might be coming considering how many of their movies they carry.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen any of these Hitchcock films yet. Same goes for the Truffaut films.
Well Shaun, you are in for a real treat.

The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps are late British (Hitchcock) films, while the other three are early American ones.

Both Rebecca and Spellbound were made under Darryl Zanuck’s regime and are not (regardless of their merits) typical of Hitchcock. Both Rebecca and Notorious are outstanding. I’m not a big fan of Spellbound but it is well worth having.

My only regret is that I already own them all, so I can’t take advantage of the reduced prices.

Which means that I recommend picking them up. They all have good commentaries and extras. Others will differ, but I rank them more or less in this order:

Notorious
Rebecca
The Lady Vanishes
Spellbound
The 39 Steps

On the day, I might flip the last two.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Excellent news for anyone who doesn't already have these. I'd highly recommend it, but I've also already purchased them separately. In my opinion, The 39 Steps & The Lady Vanishes are Hitchcock's best British films, and two of his best ever. I still find them to be two of his most enjoyable films, and have watched my Criterion DVD's of them at least 4 times each. The other three are also excellent films, although I've always found Rebecca to be the least enjoyable of the lot.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Rebecca
Spellbound
The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Notorious

I've never really understood why Notorious was so well thought of. I always found it very ordinary compared with Hitch's other thrillers. For my money, Spellbound and Rebecca are the 2 best sets out of the 5, but owning all of them certainly isn't a bad thing.

With their latest releases, and the Truffaut box set in April, Criterion really are on top form. :emoji_thumbsup: Love 'em.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Sweeet... I was just about to pick these up anyways! :D

I'll get it right after I get the Kurosawa set.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Excellent, I've wanted all five for some time, have seen none, and own none, this will take me through my may purchases :)

Adam

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
What about the Truffaut box set? I haven't seen any of the films in it. Is it worth a blind purchase?

Shaun

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Any chance that Criterion might supply just the box to us folks who already own all of the Hitchcok films? Then I could place it next to both of the Universal box sets.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'd love it if Criterion would make the box available to us. I was very happy when i was able to "upgrade" my Jurassic Park and Cowboy Bebop sets by just buying the box for the set. With regards to the Hichcock set, I've got three out of the five in the set already, so I'm torn as to wether I should buy the last two by themselves, or buy the boxed set and ebay off my duplicates.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What about the Truffaut box set? I haven't seen any of the films in it. Is it worth a blind purchase?
The 400 Blows is generally considered to be one of the best and most influential films of all time. Plus, it is one of my favorites. The was Truffaut’s first feature film and was an immediate hit both at Cannes and in the U.S. It’s depiction of early adolescence is not to be missed—it is heart-rending to anyone who was ever 14. And the final shot is one of the most famous in all of cinema.

In my opinion the other films in this set, do not meet the standard set by The 400 Blows, but they do give us a sense of completeness. For me, they are worth seeing, even if not for a purchase. I will buy the set, as my copy of The 400 Blows is not a very good transfer and I don’t have any of the rest.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I would have to disagree with Lew. Stolen Kisses, I feel, is one of the best romantic comedies ever made and I think it's both better than The 400 Blows and Truffaut's best film. In fact, J-P Leaud and Claude Jade are such a perfect couple that it causes me to have a problems with the lastter two films, especially Love On The Run.

But all 3 have fun moments are are worth seeing. The short, Antoine et Collette is excellent, taking on the air of romantic tragedy because of how much we care about Antoine.

On the Hitchcock box, wish I could take advantage, but I own Rebecca (my favorite) and Notorious, and don't like Spellbound at all.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I own all of these except Spellbound. I've been vacillating on whether or not to buy Spellbound.... if I could get the box for all the discs, that would probably seal the deal for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks