Criterion easter eggs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin M, May 18, 2002.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I was just wondering if The Criterion people have ever put hidden features on any of their DVD's? I very much doubt it, but it is a question I have been wanting to ask for awhile now.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Chasing Amy has a sort of easter egg. Watch the color bars. That's the only one I know of.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

In The Mood for Love has, at last count, five.

Four trailers for his films in the "Wong Kar-Wai: The Searcher" biography (just go through all the pages and they'll start automatically), and one hidden music video in Tony Leung's biography (press up on the first page, and highlight a music note). There are also unadvertised extra features, such as an isolated music and effects track on the film.

George Washington has four - one extended interview clip after the color bars at the end of the disc, and if you go onto the "Cast Reunion" in the "Mysteries Made" selection, pressing down then right highlights three dots - two of these are more outtake interview footage and one is baby photos of all the cast

Grey Gardens has an extra, very recent telephone interview with Little Edie after the colour bars over some stills

That's all I can find so far.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I'm surprised (although I knew & then forgot about the Chasing Amy one) because it always seemed to me that Criterion wanted everyone to see all the work they put into most of their DVD's.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

A few Criterion laserdiscs had stuff during or after the color bars too, I guess since some people might stop the player at the end of the movie. Pink Flamingos has John Waters saying "Cunt-eyes? What the hell was I thinking??" over the color bars, and the famous 'screen test' on Boogie Nights after the color bars. (I never miss anything since I watch LDs straight through, even the turtle sides!)

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

7. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I recall somebody at Criterion saying in an interview that the original Citizen Kane LD had an easter egg at the end of the last side where the entire movie was replayed at something like 100x speed. I asked if this was true on the old Criterion message board (I only have the 50th anniversary re-release, not the original LD) but never got a response.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell