What's new

Criterion easter eggs? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was just wondering if The Criterion people have ever put hidden features on any of their DVD's? I very much doubt it, but it is a question I have been wanting to ask for awhile now.

Ike

Screenwriter
Chasing Amy has a sort of easter egg. Watch the color bars. That's the only one I know of.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
In The Mood for Love has, at last count, five.

Four trailers for his films in the "Wong Kar-Wai: The Searcher" biography (just go through all the pages and they'll start automatically), and one hidden music video in Tony Leung's biography (press up on the first page, and highlight a music note). There are also unadvertised extra features, such as an isolated music and effects track on the film.

George Washington has four - one extended interview clip after the color bars at the end of the disc, and if you go onto the "Cast Reunion" in the "Mysteries Made" selection, pressing down then right highlights three dots - two of these are more outtake interview footage and one is baby photos of all the cast

Grey Gardens has an extra, very recent telephone interview with Little Edie after the colour bars over some stills

That's all I can find so far.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm surprised (although I knew & then forgot about the Chasing Amy one) because it always seemed to me that Criterion wanted everyone to see all the work they put into most of their DVD's.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A few Criterion laserdiscs had stuff during or after the color bars too, I guess since some people might stop the player at the end of the movie. Pink Flamingos has John Waters saying "Cunt-eyes? What the hell was I thinking??" over the color bars, and the famous 'screen test' on Boogie Nights after the color bars. (I never miss anything since I watch LDs straight through, even the turtle sides!)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I never miss anything since I watch LDs straight through, even the turtle sides!
I always thought Kevin Smith lost a great opportunity with the "turtle" side four of Chasing Amy. The "turtle" screen actually runs for a few seconds, so why not put in someone saying, "Hey, there's nothing on this side, can't you read?"

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I recall somebody at Criterion saying in an interview that the original Citizen Kane LD had an easter egg at the end of the last side where the entire movie was replayed at something like 100x speed. I asked if this was true on the old Criterion message board (I only have the 50th anniversary re-release, not the original LD) but never got a response.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I recall somebody at Criterion saying in an interview that the original Citizen Kane LD had an easter egg at the end of the last side where the entire movie was replayed at something like 100x speed.
The Robocop CAV laserdisc had this as a feature (a faster version of Robocop, not Citizen Kane, naturally). It was a version designed to be viewed by a cyborg, or something to that effect.
btw, The Third Man has a brief hidden gallery within a still gallery, but I'd have to double-check my disc to be sure of the location.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks