Title: Creed IV

Release: 2023-11-18

Plot: The fourth installment of the “Creed” saga

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Creed IV is in development with Michael B. Jordan returning to direct.

Deadline said:
Producer Irwin Winker said Saturday at Deadline’s Contenders Film: Los Angeles event that Creed IV is in the works, with franchise star and Creed III director Michael B. Jordan to helm it.

“We are planning to do Creed IV right now,” Winkler said onstage during a panel for Creed III, the MGM Amazon Studios pic that bowed in March and grossed more than $275 million at the worldwide box office. “We have a really good story [and] a really good plot. We got a little delayed because of the strikes, but about a year from now we’re going into pre-production.”

Winkler also confirmed that Jordan would be returning to direct after his feature helming debut on Creed III. “He will be,” Winkler said. “He did such a great job — he was comfortable with the camera.”

Panelist and producing partner Elizabeth Raposo added in regards to the success of the third film in the franchise, “[We’re] just glad that this one worked and people want to see more.”

I loved Creed III, so I'm fully on board with this. Jordan did a great job directing and I'm excited to see what he does next here.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I noticed that as I was typing the previous post. I'm not sure why the thread generator did that. Fixed.

I needed a release date in order to edit the top post. Since it doesn't have one yet, I just went ahead and plugged in today's date. Obviously, it isn't coming out today. I'll change the release date to the real one whenever it is announced.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've found this to be a disappointing franchise, as all 3 fell short for me.

But hope springs and all that.

YANG

Screenwriter
the Rocky Anthology ended with 5 parts on the Character of Rocky Balboa.

I'm thinking what would the plan be... on the character of Adonis "Donnie" Johnson? will it be 5 parts as well?
Creed 1 was made in 2015
3yrs later...
Creed 2 was made in 2018
5yrs later...
Creed 3 is made in 2023
7(?)yrs later...
Creed 4 might be made in 2030
9(?)yrs much later...
Creed V could be ending the anthology in 2039

the last 2 could be very crucial as Stallone is now 77yrs old, will he be able to live up to 93yrs of age to play the "legendary" Rocky Balboa character... could end up to be a very difficult expectation.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
what would the plan be... on the character of Adonis "Donnie" Johnson? will it be 5 parts as well?
I think the plan is to make more Creed as long as Michael B. Jordan wants to do it and as long as the audience still shows up for it. There was some reporting earlier this year about potentially doing television spinoffs on Amazon Prime as well now that MGM is owned by Amazon.

the last 2 could be very crucial as Stallone is now 77yrs old, will he be able to live up to 93yrs of age to play the "legendary" Rocky Balboa character...
I know this is going to be a controversial statement, but I'm just going to say it. The Creed series no longer requires Rocky Balboa, nor should it be beholden to following the release structure of the earlier series. They should only be concerned about whatever furthers Adonis' story in the best way.

If Stallone wants to come back at some point, he would of course be very welcome. But I didn't miss him in Creed III at all because they told a compelling story that didn't include him. Adonis can now carry the franchise forward with or without Rocky.

It is also worth noting that Stallone has had some disagreements with Irwin Winker and doesn't appear to want to do anything else with him right now.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

From my reviews:

"Creed" - "As a semi-reboot of Rocky, Creed brings us moderate pleasures. While the actors add spice to the proceedings, the story seems a little too predictable and recycled. "

"C2" - "An erratic sequel, Creed II fares best when it focuses on its supporting roles. When it concentrates on the leads, it becomes less engaging. "

"C3" - "Eight years into the franchise and Creed III finds the filmmakers without much useful to say. While the movie comes with some intriguing threads, it develops them in a clumsy and trite manner. "

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like these movies but wasn't Adonis retiring or retired in Creed III? It's not hard to come up with a way to have him have to fight one more time or have him mentoring another fighter but, odd as it sounds, Michael B. Jordan is getting a bit old to be a boxer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I like these movies but wasn't Adonis retiring or retired in Creed III? It's not hard to come up with a way to have him have to fight one more time or have him mentoring another fighter but, odd as it sounds, Michael B. Jordan is getting a bit old to be a boxer.

Yeah, he retired in "C3" but felt forced to come back because his former buddy was a maniac or whatever.

It's a weird plot that stretches credulity all over the place.

As for age, MBJ is 36, which is still acceptable for a pro boxer.

Heck, George Foreman was still heavyweight champ at 48!

And Ali was champ at 36.

Not sure if the movie ever spelled out Adonis's actual age, though given Apollo died in 1985, that should mean he's older than the actor.

Anyway, if this franchise can make Rocky a champ again when Stallone was 60, MBJ can keep punching at 36! :D

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The heart of Creed and Creed II was the relationship between Adonis and Rocky. There wasn't an equivalent relationship in Creed III, and the story was pretty thin.

Hopefully, since they are continuing the series, Creed IV will find a way to break free of the Rocky franchise and become its own thing. No idea what that might be, but deviating from the Rocky plot formula could be a good start.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The heart of Creed and Creed II was the relationship between Adonis and Rocky. There wasn't an equivalent relationship in Creed III, and the story was pretty thin.

Hopefully, since they are continuing the series, Creed IV will find a way to break free of the Rocky franchise and become its own thing. No idea what that might be, but deviating from the Rocky plot formula could be a good start.

"C3" seemed to be an attempt to branch out since it focused more on Adonis's childhood and his long-incarcerated friend - there was no real equivalent to that in the "Rocky" series.

I just didn't think it worked, especially because it turned Damian from sympathetic guy trying to get his life together into cartoon movie villain in the blink of an eye.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
"C3" seemed to be an attempt to branch out since it focused more on Adonis's childhood and his long-incarcerated friend - there was no real equivalent to that in the "Rocky" series.
One thing I did find refreshing in C3 is that Bianca wasn't Adrian: She was supportive of Adonis's boxing career, rather than just fretting constantly that he was going to get hurt.

Damian was maybe a tad less cartoonish than Clubber Lang. A tad.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One thing I did find refreshing in C3 is that Bianca wasn't Adrian: She was supportive of Adonis's boxing career, rather than just fretting constantly that he was going to get hurt.

Damian was maybe a tad less cartoonish than Clubber Lang. A tad.

Clubber was a cartoon in a wholly cartoony movie. "R3" was a love letter to Stallone's muscles more than it was an actual movie.

Clubber had no arc: he was a badass who started as a badass and remained a badass - albeit slightly diminished due to his loss in the final bout.

Damian is a much better realized character, but that becomes a flaw since the movie turns him from Actual Person into Evil Demon in the blink of an eye.

Clubber is iconic, cartoon though he may be! Only good thing about that otherwise terrible movie.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks