Creative Labs Nomad ZEN question....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott Wong, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I currently have a 40GB Nomad ZEN. I have a desktop PC with a 40GB hard drive that I basically use for all of my .mp3's. The PC itself is on the brink of crashing so I don't use it for much else. The CD burner it has is broken. The software for my Nomad ZEN is also installed on it. So after I buy a new CD, for example, I convert the tracks to .mp3 format and import the tracks to my ZEN from this particular PC.

Here's my question... I have a brand new laptop but I don't want to install my 5,000+ .mp3's on this new computer. However, the laptop has a working CD burner. And occasionally, I like to make a random mix CD.

What's the easiest way to go about doing this? If I install my ZEN software onto my laptop, is it going to export all of the tracks on my ZEN onto this hard drive?? Or I select which tracks I want imported? i.e., let's say I want to make a random ALTERNATIVE mix CD. Does anyone know off-hand if I select which tracks I want to export? Or is it automatically going to load the entire library onto my hard? ...installed a new CD burner onto the old desktop sound easy enough but I don't trust it.

If anyone has this software or this particular .mp3 player and could assist me... I'd totally appreciate it.

Scott.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I don't have that player, but I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a case to make your hard drive an external drive. You could get either a Firewire or USB 2.0 and that way you could use it with both computers. You can find a case for around $30.

3. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

I used to own a Zen before I switched to an iPod. I never used the included Creative Labs software to manage my songs for the Zen, I used Musicmatch Jukebox and their Zen plug-in for burning CDs and Redchair Software's Notmad Explorer to manage and transfer the files. With Notmad I believe you can select files to transfer from your Zen to your computer or synchronize (download) your Zen's library to your computer.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The Notmad explorer is very highly thought of. Most Zen users who have tried it seem to feel it should be included with the Zen at purchase time...

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that the Zen doesn't just hook up via USB2 and become a system hard drive. Tons of other gadgets can do this - heck, I even have access to a digital still camera that can do that. Quite a dud in the design process there, considering how nice the hardware is otherwise.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/