What's new

Cream's 1968 Farewell Concert Coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
"CHATSWORTH, Calif. --(Business Wire)-- Aug. 31, 2005 Image Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ: DISK), a leading independent licensee, producer and distributor of home entertainment programming in North America, today announced the October 4, 2005 release of the 1969 rock film "Cream Farewell Concert," in a special Extended Edition DVD.
Presented by producer and Cream's then-manager Robert Stigwood ("Tommy," "Grease," "Saturday Night Fever"), and directed by Tony Palmer ("200 Motels," "Wagner"), "Cream Farewell Concert" was filmed at London's Royal Albert Hall on November 26, 1968, the same 8,000-seat venue where the seminal '60's British super group reunited to play for capacity crowds in May of 2005, generally acknowledged as one of the "must-see" events of the decade.

Image Entertainment's "Cream Farewell Concert" Extended Edition DVD contains the 80-minute version of the film -- a home video premiere -- which restores three songs cut from the previously available 48-minute broadcast version: "Crossroads," "Sitting on Top of the World," and "Stepping Out"; both versions are included on the DVD. In addition, the DVD offers three audio options: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Digital Surround Sound, and the original monaural soundtrack. The film itself is a heady mix of concert footage and incisive interviews with the band, set to colorful lighting effects by UK underground artist Mark Boyle, who created lighting designs for such touring acts as The Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Soft Machine during rock music's heyday of the late 1960's and 1970's. "

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Sweet, between that and the Royal Albert Hall final preformance, we'll have a lot of Cream coming to us this year.

Found this on the 2005 concerts:
Cream's Royal Albert Hall reunion shows, which took place earlier this year at London's Royal Albert Hall, are to be given a live album and DVD release.

Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker came together for a run of four dates, from May 2-6, which saw the legendary 60's prog rockers play their first shows in almost 37 years [read: Cream reunion shows unveiled]. The venue was the the scene of the band's 1968 farewell concert.

The album and DVD are set for release October 10, with the DVD rumoured to feature additional content, including an interview with the band. Tracks performed at the concerts, and likely to feature on the releases, include - although a tracklist is still to be confirmed.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering what the consensus of the opinion was concerning the recent shows were? "Just like 1968", or "classic tracks updated with new arrangements" or "3 old geezers unsuccessfully trying to play what they used to play" , etc. :)

I'm trying hard not to create expectations too high that simply can't be met. :) Cream's reunion is in my top 3 of all desired reunions. (Them, the remaining members of Zeppelin, and the Police. Maybe I'll throw Genesis in there too with Peter Gabrial and Steve Hackett!)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I heard they were not all that fantastic at their recent reunion in London. I was in London about a month before their reunion and would have loved to have heard it. I've heard that the 1968 video is not all that great. I might even have some of it on an old VHS tape somewhere in the basement. Sometimes memories are better as memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks