What's new

Could this be the source of my problem (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I have a Rotel RMB-1066 AMP hooked upto my Denon1801. When I put the AMP in signal sense mode while watching the movie it will turn itself off and on for no reason. I noticed in the manual for the AMP that the input sensitivity is 1.5v and the Auto turn on Threshold if activated is 10 mV input signal. The Pre-Out of the Denon is rated at 1.2V with an Input Sensitivity of 200mV. I have contacted Rotel and was told if the input signal is not strong enough it would shut off after a perid of time. I was told to use the 12V trigger. What is a 12V trigger?
Kevin

MarkO

Second Unit
The Rotel amp most likely has a 12 volt triger input jack on the rear. What they want you to do is go down to youre local radio shack and purchase a 12 volt dc wall wart adapter. 500 mili amps should do it.(may want to check with Rotel). Use youre switched Ac plug on the back of the reciever to power the wall wart and plug the mini jack to the amp. You way also want to check the polarity on the mini jack, if its reversed it could damage youre amp. When hooked up correctly youre amp will power up when you turn on youre reciever.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
The Rotel Amp's 12v trigger takes an AC or DC signal of 3 to 30 volts. How does this affect your suggestion?
Kevin

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
quote: The Rotel Amp's 12v trigger takes an AC or DC signal of 3 to 30 volts. How does this affect your suggestion?[/quote]
i don't really understand your question. if it takes 3-30V AC or DC, then the 12VDC wall wart power supply would work fine. applying 12V to the trigger input on your amp will turn it on, no matter what position the power switch is in. if the Denon has a 12V trigger output, simply wire it to the Rotel's input. if not, then as MarkO said, plug a 12V wall wart into a switched AC outlet on your Denon and the 12V jack into the Rotel and you should be in business. being the paranoid person that i am, i would put a one or two amp inline fuse in the dc line.
[Edited last by Craig Robertson on September 12, 2001 at 10:44 PM]

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Craig,
I was worried that since the AMP says it takes a signal 3-30volts on the 12V trigger I was worried 120v would be too much for it. Since my Denon 1801 doesn't have a 12v trigger hookup and the Rotel takes a 3.5mm Plug/Cable.
Kevin

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
What Craig's talking about is a transformer that converts 110V AC to 12V DC. They are typically referred to as "wall warts" although some are available with twin pigtail leads. Radio Shack has many to choose from. You may also have one laying around from some old non-functional electronics if you're like me and save stuff like that (pack rat).
Pete
------------------

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I ended up going to Radio Shack and picking up a 6v Power Adapter with a 3.5mm plug. Plugged it into the back of my reciever. Since the AMP only needs a 3 to 30v signal, when the reciever turns on so does the AMP. Works great for $15.
Kevin
[Edited last by Kevin. W on September 14, 2001 at 11:50 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks