What's new

Could a SuperGirl Movie work? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I don't know if there was ever an official origin for SuperGirl that stuck ( Personally, I like the 90's Superman series version)...... but could a new movie on that part of the franchise work?

The old one, from what I Remember of it, was REALLY sappy...and just plain sucked. The only thing good about it was Helen Slater, who looked really great in the outfit.

I think a fun outing for the new one would team up Super Girl and Bat Girl. Instead of having them fight a female villain, pit them against Lex Luthor and the Joker and see how well it goes :).

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Neil

Helen Slater, was a dish as Supergirl in 1984, and the special edition region 2 DVD is a rocker, wow I think she should team up with Batgirl, looks like someone should get there priorities right here.

But lets remember who’s indestructible, and why doesn’t Superman, just back off has far has possible when kryptonite is exposed to him?

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Possibly but they'd have to get the actress right and knowing Hollywood they'd just get Hilary Duff and call it a day.
I don't know how well a Supergirl/Bat-girl team up would work out, (I know there are plenty of guys who would see the movie if the two lead actresses were hot) but I don't really know enough about Supergirl to know if she ever really had decent plots or one could be made for her.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You can potentially make a fun movie out of every concept; the trouble with Supergirl is "why doesn't she just call in cousin Kal when she gets in over her head". One thing I think you have to do that the existing movie didn't is spend some time exploring what the relationship between the two is.

The comics are back to "Superman's cousin from Krypton", with the 90s version now not having officially happened (DC's been doing a fierce rollback program for the last couple years). There's been some nifty ideas - Kara expected Clark to be a baby when she arrived; no interest in a secret identity - and some dumb ones (nearly everything else).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The film could be a comedy about how horribly Supergirl sucks as a crime-fighter or protector of humanity, and be set during Superman Return's backstory of the five year period when Superman is gone to Krypton, as she tries, and fails, to fill the void.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Just so long as it's not STUPID. Someone Hollywood bigwig would probably say "it's gotta be a funny chick flick" and roll with it, rather than making it something good.

Man, I wanted Supergirl to be a good movie...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Just don't honor the spirit and direction of Jeannot Szwarc's film and make it about a misguided villainess who tries to conquer the world using Kryptonian technology in order to get the hot landscaper guy to fall in love with her.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
In answer to your question: No. Not now.

Man, I remember going to see Supergirl and anticipating great things. The ONLY thing great about that movie was Helen Slater. As posted above, she looked GREAT in the outfit! Everything LOOKED right, but the story ...ughhhh.
And Faye Dunaway ... whyyyyyy oh whyyyy?
With Hollywood's outlook of 'get the latest, hotest...', a new Supergirl, IMO, wouldn't work.

A good thought, but currently - bad timing.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I agree. That last point is critical, imo, to utilizing the character effectively.
If you ignore or push that aside, as the 84 movie did, you have only a contrived premise right off the bat. I was in the minority, i guess, with SR in that I felt its emotional core was ham fisted and poorly executed. Themes of connection, heritege, etc could easily find a voice in a Supergirl/Superman movie and be just as, if not more powerful.

It would also be (if done intelligently...actually everything here is predicated on the premise being treated intelligently) interesting to see explorations of nature vs nurture. If Singer hadn't been so ridiculously slavish to the Donner film, they could have follwed up on a theme from the TV series which was particularly fascinating- what if the intention was to eventually rule earth?
Not in a faciastic way, but rather an aristocratic one (think the Kennedys or Bushes). With the introduction of another Kryptonian who isn't 'dedicated to evil and violence against mankind', but who may have or develop her own rigid ideas about what is 'best'- It could make for an interesting conflict.

To me, there is a lot of fascinating ideas to explore. 'shame they wont.

If I was going to do a Batgirl movie, I would use the Carrie Kelly model and tweak that a little and fold it into the conventional Barb Gordon origin. Use Batman as a much older surrogate father/teacher etc. (just realized thats basically Batman Beyond).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Because if he actually had the sense to use flight and superspeed well, most of the criminals who go up against him wouldn't stand a chance.

It's similar to the concept of the "idiot plot" in horror movies. The killer is lurking in the dark woods, waiting to murder all the students. The students are in a relatively safe house, can use a phone, can barricade windows and doors, etc. Instead, they decide to split up and go looking for the killer in the dark. Why do these people act like idiots? Because if they weren't so eager to nominate themselves for Darwin Awards, there wouldn't be enough horror to make a movie ...

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

I don't see how that's really a problem considering ostensibly both Superman and Batman exist in the same reality, so why doesn't Batman just call in Superman when he gets in over his head?

Sure Superman is fast, but he can't be everywhere at once. Maybe Supergirl should be based out of Australia or something.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
You can't make a Supergirl film and have her rescued by Superman, it just wouldn't be right. She has to be the heroine that saves everyone, the story could take place during Supes absence mentioned in SR.

But who would play Supergirl? Scarlett Johannsen? She has the looks. Jessica Alba, gorgeous as she is, is a bit too latino for a Kryptonian. Keira Knightley? Beautiful girl, but no tits. Or go with an unknown. :)

I remember seeing the 1984 Supergirl at the cinema with a friend, when it finished we walked out trying to hide our faces. Even worse was to come 3 years later when I saw Superman IV, probably with the same friend, I think we covered our heads with our coats when we crept out the cinema. :cool:

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
You can't put Supergirl in the time span of Superman's absence in SR. Why would Lois write her column, and why would there still be so many bad things going on in the world if Supergirl were actually there?

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I could see Scarlett as Supergirl, but then again, I can imagine Scarlett in almost ANYTHING. It's a shame Hilary Duff isn't a better actress, because I think she'd look spectacular in the outfit. She's a very pretty girl, and from what I can tell, she's a positive role model for girls. Duff's older sister Haylie would look great, too, she's a got a slightly "harder" look about her (see "Napoleon Dynamite"). An unknown would probably be the best route (like Helen Slater was...I'm a sucker for huge eyes), but it's SO much fun imagining current celebs in the role. Hope this thread keeps going...

I don't recall if it was season 3 or 4 of Smallville, but wasn't there a quite fetching blonde gal who emerged from the cave "portal" named "Kara?" I really thought they were going somewhere with her, but alas, it never materialized. I realize that I'm only talking about the tv show, but, damn, she would have looked great in the blue-and-red, too...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I like the way the animated series handled the character, and if a movie took a similar approach, it could be good.

Regards,

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I think this was handled very well in the recent Jeph Loeb reboot. Basically, as a teenager, Kara wanted space. She wanted to be left alone. Superman is very protective and doesn't let her handle things on her own, always sticking in when things get the least bit hairy. So, she always tries to do things by herself.

Now, this recent reboot could be a good jumping off point for a movie. They couldn't do it exactly, because most of the story involves a large portion of the DC heroes from Batman down to the Star-Spangled Girl. But, if you use the new Superman as a minor character, it could work.

The backbone to the story is that Kara was actually 16 when Krypton exploded, but her rocket didn't make it to earth the same time as Kal-El's. She spends years in suspended animation, so when she wakes up on earth Kal is grown up when she was expecting a baby.

But, she doesn't remember her life on Krypton, which frustrates her. Many of the other heroes, especially Power Girl sense a darkness inside of her.

Lex uses black kryptonite to split Kara into a good and bad half. The bad half remembers life on Krypton and we learn that although Kara believed she was sent to earth to care for Kal-El, that's not the case. Zor-El, Jor-El's older brother was fiercely jealous of his younger sibling -- and actually sent his daughter to earth to kill Kal! He didnt' want the last legacy of Krypton to be from Jor-El, but his daughter.

Utimately, she chooses not to follow her father's ambitions and follow Superman on his path to be a protector.

If you take that line as a basis, you could conceivably do an excellent Supergirl movie with Brandon Routh in a small role.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
See, I sort of look at that as a demonstration of how comic book universes are more trouble than they're worth.

Also, just to throw a name out there: Elisha Cuthbert

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Again, this is taken into consideration with character. Batman and Superman both fight for the same side, but go about it in vastly different ways. Superman often lectures Batman on his approach to fighting crime, and Batman despises it when he does.

Batman is pretty confident in his abilities and therefore feels he can handle anything by himself, so he doesn't need the headache of Supes showing up and lecturing him again on why he shouldn't act and fight the way he does.

They have a tense relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks