What's new

Cool movie reference in a song? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
"What he stole from Kurosawa he bequeathed to Peckinpah"

From Jackson Browne's album The Naked Ride Home, the song is called "Sergio Leone"

Now that I think about it, my two passions are music and movies, but rarely does music ever reference movies! This is in direct opposition since movies can often rely heavily on music, not just the score but for popular music as well!

Anyone else got some cool music lyrics that reference movies in a cool, HT-geek sort of way? I confess when I heard that line I thought "99% of my friends wouldn't get this line...or this song!" :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to the rest of the lyrics. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page. They are actually pretty good. Didn't want to cut-n-past though as that might not be kosher with the copyright suits.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Barenaked Ladies, "One Week"

"Like Kurasawa I make mad films
Okay I don't make films
But if I did they'd have a samurai"

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
The White Stripes song "The Union Forever" is comprised entirely of lyrics from Citizen Kane.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
This one went right over my head (despite my familiarity with the referenced movie/song) for almost 20 years.

"Willie crashed the gate at Rosa's cantina (No, not the one where Marty shot that kid.)" -from Willie and the Pigman, by Tonio K.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Harvey Danger has a song called "Carlotta Valdez" which is the character from Hithcock's "Vertigo". I don't remember the lyrics though.

King Missile's song "Martin Scorcese" is also a classic.

I know countless songs that use samples from movies, but I don't think that is the question.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
John, that thread has a few that are interesting, but kind of stray off the topic I'm asking, which are cool movie references in movies. I don't consider things like "they gonna put me in the movies" (though I'm a big Beatles fan) to be what I'm looking for.

Just some intelligent comment, be it a sentence, stanza or the whole song, that shows the songwriter has more than passing knowledge about movies.

In fact, I think Jackson Browne's song really demonstrate quite deep knowledge about the subject. Barenaked Ladies song is kinda borderline, but I'll score it! ;) Actually most everything in this current thread is appropriate (and I actually have Monster so I'll have to re-listen to King of Comedy!).

Keep it up, guys!

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
led zeppelin...in the song ramble on they reference the lord of the rings...though it is technically the book and not the movie

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Alicia, cool reference, love Queen! Doesn't quite get the film-geek in me blushing but I'll score it!

Ryan...Led Zep, Lord of the Rings, novel or movie, cha-ching! Good catch I'll score that too! (although I will admit I always thought of it in terms of the book) :)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
White Zombie - More Human Than Human (inspired by Blade Runner)

He uses sound bites in many of his songs, but I don't know where they're all from. If anyone knows of a list of all of the clips Zombie's used, I'd love to see it. I do know two for sure:

Welcome To Planet Motherfucker has a very brief clip from Dawn Of The Dead("get up and kill") taken from the beginning of the film(in the TV studio): "...the people it kills get up and kill!"

Super-Charger Heaven begins with a clip from The Haunting(not sure what scene, as I've yet to see the film): "Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen.".

David Judah

Screenwriter
There's a song from a band called Deep Blue Something named "Breakfast at Tiffany's" talking about a relationship that is falling apart. In it the singer references the movie as something the former couple still have in common(both of them liking the movie, that is).

From the chorus:

'And I said what about "Breakfast at Tiffany's?
She said, "I think I remember the film,
And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it."
And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got."'

DJ

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
"Superman" - The Kinks

"We didn't Start the Fire" - Billy Joel mentions:
South Pacific
The King and I
Peter Pan
Peyton Place
Bridge on the River Kwai
Ben-Hur
Psycho
Lawrence of Arabia

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks