What's new

Coogan's Bluff available in Britain - and it's anamorphic! (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...241120-8535654
Yeah, I was in HMV today buying Something Wild and there it was - COOGAN'S BLUFF! I thought I was hallucinting! :laugh: I read most of the UK DVD magazine, read website news daily, but somehow, this release escaped me - and lot of other people too. I just looked at a few scenes and the transfer (1.78:1 anamorphic) is pretty much okay: grainy, fuzzy opening (was it always like that?); bright colours; good detail; often quite sharp picture. Mono sound is nothing amazing - there's a persistant ringing sound during the scene when Coogan is arrested "for impersonating an officer", but the rest of the time it's oaky. No extras - not even a trailer, but it's great to have one of Siegel & Eastwood's best films on DVD with a pretty good transfer for £12.99/$20.00(US).
It's a Universal (UK) release, and I'm begining to wonder what else they might have released on the sly! :D
Thanks for reading.
Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I really would have thought that Universal would have released it in the US before they released it here. What are the odds that they release it on region 1 this year and with interviews etc a la Play Misty For Me? I'm just glad I have the film on DVD.
Gordy

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I'm too lazy to check up which have been released in R1 prior to or later than these releases, but when Coogan's bluff was prepared for release in Norway, the following titles were also listed. I assume the list looks a lot alike for the rest of Europe.

Fear, Biloxi Blues, Lorenzo's Oil, Sgt. Bilko, The People Under The Stairs, Airport, King Ralph, Smokey and the Bandit, Billy Madison, Brewster's Millions, Døde menn kler ikke ruter, Silent Running, Serpent and the Rainbow, Night Hawk, Mallrats, Fletch, The Hard Way, Electric Horseman og Et rop om frihet. Neste gruppe kommer 11. september: Andromeda Strain, Babe, Backdraft, Coogan´s Bluff, Daylight, Earthquake, EdTV, Fahrenheit 451, How To Make An American Quilt, Into The Night, King of the Hill, Psycho 98, Raising Cain, Reality Bites, River Wild, To Wong Foo Twins, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Videodrome, Waterworld, For Whom The Bells Toll og Great Waldo Pepper

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Bjørn! :emoji_thumbsup:
I think that most of those titles are available in Britain.
The Andromeda Strain is, as we all know, getting a SE from Universal on region 1 in a few months, so I'll wait for that.
I really hope that Universal delve into their back catalogue this year and give us a plethora of classic releases on SE DVD! :D
Cheers!
Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks