What's new

Converting towers into tri-amped active... Advice? (1 Viewer)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I am about to embark on an ambitious project to convert my 3-way towers into actively tri-amped self-powered beasts. I will build an electronic crossover (4th order, 24dB/oct Linkwitz-Riley allignment of course!) and three amps for each cabinet. All of the electronics will be attached to a large heatsink which will be bolted onto the back of the speaker cabinet. I am also considering a 3 or 4 band fully parametric EQ for only the bass section to help in room tuning. The amps will each be 100 W class A/B fully-discrete units (no op-amps). Much of the electronics will be based on projects decribed at this excellent site. I am planning to use a single 1000 to 1500 VA toroidal power transformer to power both speakers (and possibly others as well). I plan to use either Burr-Brown or Analog Devices op-amps in the crossovers and EQ.

Has anyone here done such a thing before? Does anyone have any advice? I do have some experience building amps and electronics, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks