What's new

Connection help please - buzz (1 Viewer)

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all!

Equipment:

Sony KDF-55WF655
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200 HD box (cablevision)
Adcom preamp/tuner (NOT HT, only 2 channel)
Monster Cable HTS-3600 conditioner
Commercial line conditioner/voltage regulator

Problem:
I still have only 2 channel stereo. I want to get the television sound of of my main speakers. No matter where I plug things in - the 3600 or commercial conditioner - and no matter where I run RCA cables from - the cable box or the TV - to the preamp, I get a buzz (60 cycle?!)

I tried a high-pass filter in-line with the cable, no help.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance!!!

Scott

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming you've got an amp of some sort that the preamp goes in to. You'll have to do a bit of diagnosis here. If the hum goes away after disconnecting the cable from your audio system then the problem is that the incoming cable hasn't been grounded correctly and doesn't tie into the external ground rod. You can get around this by picking up a Calrad 75-504 isolation transformer listed on this page: http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/02100-02.HTM for under $10. You can double check the specs on the unit with your cable company to ensure you won't be chopping off channels.
Let's take it from there.

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that looks like it should work. I'm wondering if Radio Shack has anything similar. And yes, the hum is coming from the incoming cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks