1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Connection help please - buzz

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottLR, Jan 1, 2005.

1. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

Hi all!

Equipment:

Sony KDF-55WF655
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200 HD box (cablevision)
    Adcom preamp/tuner (NOT HT, only 2 channel)
    Monster Cable HTS-3600 conditioner
    Commercial line conditioner/voltage regulator

Problem:
    I still have only 2 channel stereo. I want to get the television sound of of my main speakers. No matter where I plug things in - the 3600 or commercial conditioner - and no matter where I run RCA cables from - the cable box or the TV - to the preamp, I get a buzz (60 cycle?!)

I tried a high-pass filter in-line with the cable, no help.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance!!!

Scott

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'm assuming you've got an amp of some sort that the preamp goes in to. You'll have to do a bit of diagnosis here. If the hum goes away after disconnecting the cable from your audio system then the problem is that the incoming cable hasn't been grounded correctly and doesn't tie into the external ground rod. You can get around this by picking up a Calrad 75-504 isolation transformer listed on this page: http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/02100-02.HTM for under $10. You can double check the specs on the unit with your cable company to ensure you won't be chopping off channels.
    Let's take it from there.

3. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, that looks like it should work. I'm wondering if Radio Shack has anything similar. And yes, the hum is coming from the incoming cable.