What's new

Connect my DVD via S-cable on Inforcus X1? (1 Viewer)

Hi all!

I was talking to one of my friends about the fact that I will have 2 component inputs on my receiver but will need 3 because of the DVD player, X-box and HD cable receiver.. I asked if I should buy a switch box from Radio Shak and he told me I should just use the S-video for DVD to Infocus X1 (or the 4805) because the projector has a better video processor than my $100 DVD player.. does this sound about right? I'm so new to all of this that I have no idea which way is the best..

Will he S-Video give me a better resolution than a component?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Non-progressive component is about 15% 'better' than Svideo on average...

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Your information is partially correct. It is quite likely that the X1 internal de-interlacer (Faroudja/Sage FLI2200) is better than the one in your progressive scan DVD Player (unless you own the legendary Panasonic RP-82, which also incorporates the same FLI2200 de-interlacer.) There are also some brand-new players with the updated version, FLI2300. This means that motion artifacting will be slightly less (better) if you allow the X1 to do the de-interlacing.

However, you can send a 480i signal from your DVD player to the X1 via either component or s-video. (Note that component into X1 goes in through the s-video plug using a special adapter; reference this thread). It's still probably better to use component to transmit the signal.

Whether or not you can really see a difference may depend on cable quality and/or run distance.

Recommended reading --> The Unofficial X1 FAQ

Scott

I just have to say guys, that this has been one of the best forums I've seen! I egt great answers without getting flamed!

Thanks for the information - you guys are the best! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan M

Second Unit
what about a Panasonic RP-91? Would the X1's de-interlacer do a better job than the Genesis chip (i think that is correct)in the RP-91?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Although you perhaps will have better deinterlacing by the X1, the color saturation, etc is a bit better via component. So you're working with a tradeoff either way.

I've got a Panny CP72 (5-disc RP82), so I don't have to worry about it. But I found it definitely a bit better via progressive component than S-video output of the player (I had it hooked up that way for a couple weeks 'til the adapter came).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks