Connect my DVD via S-cable on Inforcus X1?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Brown III, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Rob Brown III

Hi all!

I was talking to one of my friends about the fact that I will have 2 component inputs on my receiver but will need 3 because of the DVD player, X-box and HD cable receiver.. I asked if I should buy a switch box from Radio Shak and he told me I should just use the S-video for DVD to Infocus X1 (or the 4805) because the projector has a better video processor than my $100 DVD player.. does this sound about right? I'm so new to all of this that I have no idea which way is the best..

Will he S-Video give me a better resolution than a component?

Thanks in advance!
    Rob

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Non-progressive component is about 15% 'better' than Svideo on average...

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Your information is partially correct. It is quite likely that the X1 internal de-interlacer (Faroudja/Sage FLI2200) is better than the one in your progressive scan DVD Player (unless you own the legendary Panasonic RP-82, which also incorporates the same FLI2200 de-interlacer.) There are also some brand-new players with the updated version, FLI2300. This means that motion artifacting will be slightly less (better) if you allow the X1 to do the de-interlacing.

However, you can send a 480i signal from your DVD player to the X1 via either component or s-video. (Note that component into X1 goes in through the s-video plug using a special adapter; reference this thread). It's still probably better to use component to transmit the signal.

Whether or not you can really see a difference may depend on cable quality and/or run distance.

Recommended reading --> The Unofficial X1 FAQ

Scott

4. Rob Brown III

I just have to say guys, that this has been one of the best forums I've seen! I egt great answers without getting flamed!

Thanks for the information - you guys are the best! [​IMG]

5. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

what about a Panasonic RP-91? Would the X1's de-interlacer do a better job than the Genesis chip (i think that is correct)in the RP-91?

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Although you perhaps will have better deinterlacing by the X1, the color saturation, etc is a bit better via component. So you're working with a tradeoff either way.

I've got a Panny CP72 (5-disc RP82), so I don't have to worry about it. But I found it definitely a bit better via progressive component than S-video output of the player (I had it hooked up that way for a couple weeks 'til the adapter came).