What's new

Confused over reference level? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm not confused over using a RS SPL meter on anything about setting it up. I want to know if you have to go through all the different decoding modes? I was listening to a CD and I noticed it was a little louder then my movie playback so I went to the speaker settings and noticed them all zeroed out in stereo and 5 chan stereo etc. Do I just need to copy the DVD settings and plug them into the other modes? Somehow I fell weird about doing this because it seems like other factors are involved in setting up DD/DST then basic stereo. Should I use the receivers test tones for this task?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Unlike movie soundtracks, there are no established reference levels for CD, so CD being "louder" is really a function of the mix.

Regards,

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
what receiver or processor are you using? i know on my denon avr2700 receiver that if i use the system menu to calibrate (built in test tones), then it sets all surround modes the same (including stereo, direct, etc.). however, if i just use the channel level feature directly while using an external audio source (such as my dvd player with video essentials), then it only sets that particular surround mode.

so basically, it depends how you did your calibration most likely. i've found that calibrating for DVD/DD yields very good results for all the other surround modes (including stereo, for direct, i turn off the sub, but that's a personal preference).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks