What's new

Concern regarding the Canare 4s11 quad cable (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
I want to heat shrink the inside conductors by twisting two together and heat shrink, but i noticed that the jackets on them arent very good, my hair dryer melts them if i hold them there a bit. it doesnt take long before the the tip of the jackets begin to droop. and the jacket around the internal conductors warp slightly.

i test this on some scrap pieces, before shrinking. But this has me greatly concerned, a hair dryer melts the jackets, I have a heat gun shipping here from Parts Express, which will have an even higher heat concentration.

if the jackets were to melt slightly while heat shrink tubing, will it have a adverse affect on the copper inside?

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
It seems odd to me that you are having a problem. I've got a Weller heat gun and have had absolutely no problem using it on heatshrink around the conductors in Canare 4S8. You are not putting the hair dryer right up next to the heatshrink and conductors, are you? A few inches away is sufficient. Don't hold it in one place for too long either. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to do.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
I did exactly what you are describing with 4S11 and never had that problem. I used a heat gun, and not a hair dryer. I would suggest that it might actually be easier with a heat gun, because you can keep the heat moving. With a hair dryer, it seems like you would have to hold it in one place for too long, and that you'd have to get it too close to the material.

Even still, to answer your question, my assumption is that it would have no adverse affect on the copper inside, but I'm not an engineer.

Yi Yin

Grip
No problem with 4s11 here either, make sure you start with the lowest temperature first and hold it far enough to just able to shrink the heat shrink. Hope this helps.

Yi

David K.

Second Unit
actually its not a problem, I just had to get used to the heat resistance, i killed a few canare conductors testing out the cables resilliance, since then ive made about 7 fine cables.

i will be making a diy tutorial online on how to make them, heres a pic of it.

ive rewired my entire set up, my fronts (above) use neon blue, my rears are carbon fiber, and my center will be black.

David K.

Second Unit
i have one more question, I want to make some awesome looking, cables.

so heres my idea, i want to have two runs of canare 4s11, twised together, and then use each cable per single conductor.

Will twisting whole cables together create any negatively adverse effects? also would the extremely large gauge harm my hk receiver?

its overkill, but it'll look really cool.

here are some pics of roughly what i had in mind, i plan to clear heat tube the twisted at various points of the twist to make it stay, then use clear tech flex and resleeve both cables, then terminate with large gauge locking bananas via WBT clones.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Will it hurt anything? Just your checkbook. :)

It's a lot of cable, and truly overkill. These are short runs, and unless you're delivering more power to the speakers than I can imagine, it's nothing hurt, but nothing gained.

If you want a "cooler" look to the cable, then I'd suggest one of Techflex's higher end sleeves, that use the multicolor strands, or the ones with kevlar in them, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks