What's new

Concept Albums (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick and Passion Play

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Iron Maiden: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Bruce Dickinson: The Chemical Wedding
Any soundtrack, especially musicals ;)
Metallica's Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice for All are loose concept albums, the first having to do with death, the second power and its abuses thereof, the third with social injustices

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Joe Jackson's Night and Day and Night and Day II are two fabulous albums about New York City. And his magnificent Heaven and Hell is a truly original take on the seven deadly sins.

Andrew Hamm's Strange Education is a pretty cool album about being a Christian in New York.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral
A man systimatically destroys everything in his life. After looking to drugs and sex to find meaning in his life, he finds none and ultimatly takes his own life (or attempts to depending on your interpretation of "Hurt").

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Sounds uplifting. ;)

Thanks for the reminder of why I hated my college roommate. He listened to that album over and over. It made him unpleasant to live with.

Mark All

Second Unit
CHRISTMAS albums have been around for a long time
Good point! I never thought of it that way before. I must admit the Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass' Christmas LP was played every year in my house in December when I was growing up. Much more uplifting than NIN.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
The Kinks--Soap Opera, Schoolboys In Disgrace, Lola Vs. Powerman & The Moneygoround Pt. 1
Beach Boys--Little Deuce Coupe

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I dont remember Rush 2112 being a concept album. I remember it had their own overture on a good part of the album. Temple of Syrinx was my fav. song off that album...
Just the first half is concept (man discovers musical instrument and is ostracized by the elders in a future artless society).

I would add:

Marillion Misplaced Childhood
Extreme III Sides to Every Story

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
May as well finish the Alan Parsons Project list as all of them are concept albums:
Pyramid
Eye in the Sky
Ammonia Avenue
Vulture Culture
Stereotomy
Goudi

Joel

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I'll throw this out...Jesus Christ Superstar by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. I've never seen a stage production of it, and the movie version I saw was pretty disappointing....but I love the double CD. It tells the story of the last days of Christ, and focuses attention on Judas, Pilate, the high priests, and the apostles. Since these characters are not discussed in depth in the gospels, we can only wonder about them, and their motivations. This album offers one possible scenario, through absolutely brilliant lyrics. Regardless of the validity of the story, it makes one wonder about those days 2000 years ago.

Chris

John Watson

Screenwriter
Just arrived today in my most recent Amazon order, "A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night" by Harry Nilsson!

I had this on vinyl back in the day, and it was probably too "grown up" for me then, but it sure sounds good now...

(Since someone mentioned the Sinatra records from the 50's, thought I could throw this one out, as a fine 70's concept album.)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Spartacus by Triumvirat

If you like progressive music, you MUST buy this album. Very melodic, very haunting, and the LP sounds great, but it was just remastered on CD.

Walt O

Agent
Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, Paradise Theater, Kilroy Was Here, Brave New World --Styx

Yeah, I know nobody ever listened to this band, but they would be great in 5.1 SACD.

Walt O

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rock's first true "concept album" was the 1966 two-disc Verve Records release of Freak Out!, the first album from the then-new Mothers of Invention. This, of course, predates Sgt. Pepper by a year.
Yep, and I believe that The Beatles have mentioned Freak Out! as an influence.

Another freat Zappa concept album is Joe's Garage, which is a musical powerhouse. Probably my favorite concept album of all time, though Scenes From A Memory by Dream Theater is a close second.

Others not mentioned (unless I missed them):

Pink Floyd: Animals
Camel: Snow Goose
Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks