Component video cables: 6 ft vs 12 ft?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Tom Veillette, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Tom Veillette

Hey guys, is there any reason NOT to purcahse longer 12 foot cables vs shorter 6 foot cables?

Right now, I only need the 6 foot. But in the future I may need longer, and they are the same price. So I figure since it's the same, might as well buy the longer ones.

Would I have to worry about signal degradation or anything like that with the longer cables?

Thanks!

2. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel Auditioning

i wouldn't think another 6' would make a huge difference, but the longer the wire the more resistance and the worse the quality. however if you intend on needing that extra length, then get longer ones.

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Get the long ones. 6' is not long enough to make any visible difference.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The coax used is rated by rolling out 100 feet, then bragging about the performance of shoving signals in one end and seeing what comes out.

The only 'issue' about 6 extra feet of cable is routing it. You dont want to make loops of the excess cable and you would like to keep the wires away from any other power wires (speaker or AC).

Just make big "S" curves with the excess and you should be fine.