What's new

Component video cable length, is 25' to 30' too long? (1 Viewer)

ButchKochel

Auditioning
Hi,

I have just purchased my first RPTV, a Toshiba 50HX81. I would like to set up my stereo system away from the tv,due to room layout and so the stereo lighting doesnt detract from the expeirience. The corner I would like to set it up in would require 25' to 30' of cable between the components and the tv. Is that too long of a run for component video cable or S-video, would it hurt the performance of the system, I will be hooking up DVD(non-progresive...yet), a lazerdisk player , and in the future I plan on geting an HDTV receiver. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Butch

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Butch. Welcome to HTF! :)
Well closer is always better, but the coax companies roll out 100 feet of coax, shove higher and higher frequencies in one end and brag about the output. So your 30 feet should not be an issue.
Even if you are not running Progressive/HD signals yet, that television is doing a analog->digital conversion and then performing lots of processing before doing a display.
Because of this, a slight improvement in the source video signal can make a big difference in the display.
So I strongly recommend you buy some cables that are rated for HD signals. Oridnary component cables WILL work, but may not really be rated for HD signals. (And since a good PS DVD player is only about $300, this may be a upgrade you will perform soon.)
The best value/bang for the buck are the various internet sites that will make you a custom set of cables. These places use the same coax and connectors sold to the broadcast & production studio industry.
These cables will cost you in the neighberhood of $150, but they will match/out-perform the 6 feet of Monster Video3 that sells for $280.
Hint: Make sure they use Canare RCA plugs, and either Canare or Belden coax.
Several sites that have a good reputation around here are:
www.bettercables.com
www.wickedcables.com
Link Removed
You can also find people who work out of their home and make these cables and sell them on eBay. (Search for "Canare").
Good Luck.

ButchKochel

Auditioning
Bob,

Thanks for the info, it it greatly appreciated! I had seen a couple of those sites and a few others mentioned before on this forum and will end up going with one of them, I just wanted to make sure it was a safe distance. Also thanks for the tip on making sure what they are made of. Thanks again.

Butch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks