What's new

Component cable and switcher recommend? (1 Viewer)

paulDark

Auditioning
I've recently got a new HDTV, KICKS ASS. Now the problem is that with the new HD cable box, at least 3 game systems that're going to use component video, my questions are this:

1: What is a good video selector (as my tv only has two component inputs) to use (and doesn't cost too much)?

2: What is a great cable to hook up between that video selector and the tv? (I have monster cables for the game systems and cable box, so that's not an issue)

...that made sense didn't it?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, I like the Canare based cables for all HD sources. You can get a custom one for about $50 at places like bluejeanscables - but it has the bandwidth to handle full 1080 analog signals.

The switcher is harder. You can get a mechanical switcher that claims to be able to handle HD video from MadCatz for about $40.

My advice would be to direct-connect the CATV HD output (which can be up to 1080) to 1 input on the new TV. Then use the mechanical switch box for all the game systems to the other input.

This way an inexpensive switcher does not compromize your highest-quality source.

Hope this helps.

paulDark

Auditioning
That was the plan, actually. Use a high-quality cable to connect the TV to the switcher box, and then hook the game systems to the box.

But, knowing that it's mad catz...is it worth a damn? I see one on circuitcity's website from Pelican...but again is it worth a damn?

That's the main problem I'm concerned with. $40 is a great price for one, but if it sucks (and I have never enjoyed a mad catz product) then it's worthless.

...why is it so much harder to find a fix for this? Component cables and not having enough inputs on the tv isn't a new concept. Sorry, little tirade, my bad.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have the MatCatz - but I'm afraid I have not used it yet.

The only 'hard' thing about this is finding a component video switcher that has 90+ Mhz bandwidth to handle the HD signals.

Then - people want remote control.

Then - people want optical and coaxial-digital to switch with the video.

And now you are into an Audio Authority switch box for about $250. Very good (one of the engineers is a member here).

Go for the MatCatz. But use the high-bandwidth cable for the CATV box and cheaper stuff for the game systems.

Winston L

Grip
I have a slightly different issue - but it is still a request for a switcher recommendation.

I have an XBox 360 and Time Warner's HD DVR (Scientific Atlanta), both of which I need to connect to a Mits WS-55511 which has only 1 component Jack that can handle 1080i. Figures.

When I route both through my Yamaha receiver, the XBox picture is fine, but the HD DVR is degraded significantly (lots of yellows and too "hot"). I bought a simple Y cable, which carried through the HD DVR just fine but the XBox 360 flickered and the TV went to blue screen.

I need a switcher than can pass through the signals without degradation(ideally, without having to switch anything - as I'd never have both devices on at the same time - is that even possible?).

I'd appreciate a recommendation. I don't really care about passing through two optical audio signals.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks