What's new

Completing the 80s (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's a nice picture, above, of Cindy Morgan, with Bruce B. and Clyde K, from BRING 'EM BACK ALIVE. Cindy and Bruce were also in TRON together, the same year.

That's right, I had forgotten that Cindy Morgan was in Tron. Attractive lady.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have found overall that I have remarkably little nostalgia value for 80s TV even though it was the last decade of my life where I was a major first-run TV watcher so a lot of titles are familiar to me but I see things changing too much overall and the signs of decline that drove me away for good setting in. Still, there are some I would like to see and would eagerly buy.

Crazy Like a Fox. #1 at the top of my list. Absolutely loved the light mystery-comedy filmed on location in SF and the great chemistry of Jack Warden and John Rubenstein, plus they generally boasted greater all-star veteran guest casts. CBS senselessly killed this show when they moved it from Sunday nights after "Murder She Wrote" to Wednesdays opposite "Dynasty".

Law And Harry McGraw. I have the R4 release (one of only two foreign region sets I own), but I would love to upgrade to an R1.

Goodnight Beantown. Her Trek episode made Mariette Hartley the first crush of my life so that's why I watched this when it ran.

Private Benjamin. Watched it regularly, but it always seemed to be retooling its format. Lorna Patterson was easy on the eyes even in fatigues.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Crazy Like a Fox. #1 at the top of my list. Absolutely loved the light mystery-comedy filmed on location in SF and the great chemistry of Jack Warden and John Rubenstein, plus they generally boasted greater all-star veteran guest casts. CBS senselessly killed this show when they moved it from Sunday nights after "Murder She Wrote" to Wednesdays opposite "Dynasty".

Even if it's from Mill Creek (5 or 6 shows per disc), I'll be glad to have a release-- I've never seen that CBS detective series before. IIRC, I recall Pat Summerall always promoting the Sunday lineup after NFL coverage (back when CBS was the NFC network) as being 60 Minutes, Murder, She Wrote, Crazy Like A Fox, and finally Trapper John, M.D. Now, there's practically nothing on Sundays, not even after NFL coverage!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Private Benjamin. Watched it regularly, but it always seemed to be retooling its format. Lorna Patterson was easy on the eyes even in fatigues.
She looked even better out of uniform.
216a05234547349.jpg

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I forgot about the last quarter of Disney's DuckTales. I hope Disney brings it to completion, although at least the majority of the best episodes are in the first 75% of the series which has long been available.

That one and Major Dad are the last two 80's shows I'd like to see finished. And I'd like to see Shout take a crack at Trapper John, M.D. I've never seen an episode, but I'm curious and would like to see if I'd be a fan.

Past those, everything I can think of that I'm a fan of from the 1980's has been done justice on DVD, past documentaries and the tv movie The Night They Saved Christmas. And I'd of loved to have seen entire seasons of various forms of motorsports released in standard definition on dual layer Blu-Ray discs, which would've made it practical from a disc count perspective.

The 1980's was a special time for both Winston Cup and CART/IndyCar, among others. And almost every major race in the decade was finally broadcast flag to flag in its entirety on television for the first time, often live (Although I believe the Indy 500 remained tape delayed until evening into the 1990's before the Indianapolis Motor Speedway relented).

Hopefully the tapes for 99% of this stuff are in the archives of the networks like ESPN (NASCAR and IndyCar were there virtually from day 1 when they went on the air in the early 1980's) and the sanctioning bodies like IndyCar.

I sometimes worry that the bulk of it went like so many 1960's and 1970's soap operas, with the tapes reused after a certain amount of time went by except for the biggest races like Indianapolis and some odds and ends that escaped wiping.

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I have found overall that I have remarkably little nostalgia value for 80s TV even though it was the last decade of my life where I was a major first-run TV watcher so a lot of titles are familiar to me but I see things changing too much overall and the signs of decline that drove me away for good setting in. Still, there are some I would like to see and would eagerly buy.

Law And Harry McGraw. I have the R4 release (one of only two foreign region sets I own), but I would love to upgrade to an R1.

Goodnight Beantown. Her Trek episode made Mariette Hartley the first crush of my life so that's why I watched this when it ran.

Crazy Like a Fox is definitely my #1 1980's MIA. I absolutely loved the father-son interaction between the two leads. For similar reasons my #2 1980's wish would be Blacke's Magic. I thought the relationship between Hal Linden and Harry Morgan was a blast.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The 1980's was a special time for both Winston Cup and CART/IndyCar, among others. And almost every major race in the decade was finally broadcast flag to flag in its entirety on television for the first time, often live (Although I believe the Indy 500 remained tape delayed until evening into the 1990's before the Indianapolis Motor Speedway relented).

The first live Indy 500 telecast was in 1986. I should mention that in the hobby of sports trading, every ABC Indy 500 telecast which began in 1965 (from 65-70 it was a shortened half hour on Wide World Of Sports and then the prime time delayed broadcast from 1971-85) is accounted for except for 1972 and 1976. And most of the Indy car circuit telecasts are in the hobby from 1979 onward.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Are you talking about network archives and what IndyCar themselves has, or what's distributed among fans?

And I couldn't resist adding that 2018 is the last year for this relationship between ABC and the Indianapolis 500. While it's for the best since ABC's coverage has declined in recent years, it's also kind of sad at the time time.

I imagine it's probably the longest continuous relationship in televised sports, and it's coming to an end with the Indy 500 set to be on NBC in 2019.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Both. ESPN Classic has aired all of the ones from 67 to the 80s except for 72 and 76 which come from the network vault. I erred in saying we have 65, the first one ABC did. The 66 ABC broadcast was offered online.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Love, Sidney has also got to come out eventually, even if he barely kinda sorta did right before the show was cancelled after only two seasons. Warner Archive is its best hope. They also own the TV movie it was based on, Sidney Shorr: A Girl's Best Friend.

And who owns the rights to Doctor Doctor? That was on for three years, got some cable reruns, then poof! Nowhere. That's another Reeves Entertainment Group production, but this time Sony ended up with the American rerun rights instead of Universal, and FremantleMedia got the rights everywhere else in the world as with the rest of the former Reeves/Alan Landsburg library. VEI did In Search of…, Gimme A Break!, and Kate and Allie, which were part of the initial Universal distribution deal before Landsburg left for his own company*, in one fell swoop each, and Sony has ongoing deals with at least three different labels to empty out their library. This somehow has managed to escape their attention even though shorter-lived shows have not.

*And took his name with him to form a new, unrelated company called The Landsburg Company, prompting the existing company's name change from Alan Landsburg Productions (ALP) to Reeves Entertainment Group (REG).

Last edited:

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I have never seen even a second Of Bring 'Em Back Alive. It was never syndicated as far as I know, so I never had a chance to view it.This may be hard to believe, but I didn't watch prime time TV in the 80's. I was in High School and had more important things on my mind. Even Tales, Airwolf, Magnum and all my other 80's favorites I missed in first run. I discovered Magnum reruns in college. And when Quantum Leap came out I watch the credits and thought, I know these names from somewhere else.

Bring' "Em Back Alive ran over and over on the Lifetime network (along with Cover-Up) after being cancelled by CBS. I liked Gold Monkey better, it had higher production values, etc.I was also in high school in the early 80's, but we had a VCR so I didn't miss anything. In those days the TV Guide was my bible, life I could live anytime. However, in those days miss an episode of something and you might never see it again...LOL

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
This is my #1 holy grail show I would like to have on DVD!!!! Come on Warner Brothers.....if you can't deliver.....give it to some other studio to release.....I know music rights are the issue, but you have been working on the music rights since 2009?!?!?! Considering there is currently a petition out there with 1,318 signers (so far) wanting the remaining seasons to come out!!! So frustrating!!!

https://www.change.org/p/warner-bro...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

The Petition for release of the rest of the seasons to "Knots Landing" has gained some traction since I last posted. As of this writing, there are now 1,350 signers. Only 150 more signers to get to their current goal of 1,500. Come on "Knots Landing" fans......keep the squeaky wheel squeaking!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks